Oh dear I really don't know what I'm doing

Macgd016

Dabbler
I've played around with PCs for years but I am still no it expert but through trial and error I can normally get things to work the way I want them to but FreeNAS has got me stumped pretty much at the first gate!

I have loaded FreeNAS 11.3 on a USB stick & it's all loads up fine, I've given it a static IP address and can assess FreeNas using the GUI and that's as far as I can go.

I've read all sorts of setup guides as well and listened to the first 2 courses of the training but I'm finding that I don't even understand the basic terminology that is used. I'm guessing that some of it might be Linux which I've had little or no exposure to but I'm not even sure if this.

Without some basic understanding of the core terms I just don't feel confident to progress any further and am begining to think I need look for a more turn key solution. BUT I hate admitting defeat so I just wonder if there is an idiot's guide to some of the key aspects of FreeNAS or even a step by step initial setup guide out there that explains why you need to do certain things.

As an example, I have set up a user but it's unclear why I don't just use the root user. Then there are groups but I can't see what they are for.

Then the scary stuff, what are pools, they seem to be something to do with the disks but I'm not really sure what. I read a guide that explained the now defunct setup Wizard (I only found this out after reading the guide ) and it suggested you need a minimum of 4 disks, I only have 2 and just want to mirror them for data security.

And I have tried to read parts of the Documents but these quickly exhaust my knowledge and leave me confused.

So you can see I am getting into a right old mess and haven't even started yet so if there is an idiot proof help out there please point me in the right direction

Redcoat

MVP

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing that some of it might be Linux
Since FreeNAS doesn't use Linux in any way, this is pretty unlikely. But to some of your questions:

• It's generally considered a good practice to avoid using the root user any more than necessary. When you're doing system administration (which is what you do through the GUI), it's necessary. For sharing files, it isn't.
  • Groups are generally used for more advanced permissions scenarios, as when you want more than one user to be able to access a file/directory. Probably not necessary for a basic setup.
  • For basics about ZFS, pools, vdevs, etc., this would be a good place to start: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/introduction-to-zfs.111/ You only need one disk to make a pool, but two or more are strongly recommended so you can have redundancy.
  • As a basic getting-started guide, check out Uncle Fester's guide, linked in my .sig. It's a little out of date, but most of the "new GUI" section is still valid.
If you're still having trouble, you'll get much better results with more specific questions.

Macgd016

Dabbler
Thank you both for the links & patience, I have started by reading Cyberjocks presentation which has helped me understand some of the basics. I wil, read through the rest of the links you have given me but I'm beginning to think that this might be all a litlte too complex and time consuming for my needs, which to be honest are pretty basic

Macgd016

Dabbler
But perhaps I'm just panicking because of all Cyberjocks warnings of loosing data and the need for regular administration. I only really want a simple backup server for photos, music etc but thought that having a NAS would be fun as it could also run a dns and Plex server.

Re-reading the presentation & the then the first build parts of the guide my panic is subsiding as it looks as if all I need to start with is to put my 2 x 1Tb disks into a Vdev as mirror disks and then put that into a zpool or the other way round, I will have to read it all again!

Again thanks for the idiots guide!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Cyberjock's guide can be a bit alarmist. Create your pool with both disks in a mirror and you should be good. But be sure to set up email alerts and regular SMART tests to be aware of any issues.