read: Connection reset by peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesNisly

Dabbler
Hey guys, this is my first post, and hopefully I'm following protocol here. I have googled and searched the forum and scoured the documentation but I haven't found anything that is helping. I'm really hoping that someone can help we out with this or point me in the right direction. I seem to be having an issue with my network connection dropping out and I can't figure out what might be causing it.

I'm attempting to use Photo Mechanic to ingest images from my SD cards to my freeNAS box (hardware details in signature) the ingest chugs along quite fine for a while (about 500Mbit/sec according to the freeNAS reporting tab) then all of the sudden, things come to a grinding halt. When that happens, I notice console messages start popping up along the lines of:

Code:
cnid_dbd[4680]: read: Connection reset by peer

Code:
cnid_dbd[4680]: error reading message header: Permission denied

and then after a little while I get:

Code:
afpd[6915]: afp_zzz: entering extended sleep

I can still browse directories on the freeNAS server after this happens, but transfer rates get really really spotty until I reboot the server.

I have tried everything I can think of to do. I set permission recursively for the entire dataset, I deleted and recreated the share, rebooted all machines, and it seems to happen pretty consistently.

I'm not really sure where to go from here in terms of trouble shooting, and please let me know if you need any further information. Any guidance would be hugely appreciated! I've attached a screen grab of the messages I'm seeing pop up in the console.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-11-22 16.05.51.png
    Screenshot 2017-11-22 16.05.51.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 374

JamesNisly

Dabbler
Ok, I'll give that a try; although in testing, I seemed to get about half the throughput when sharing via SMB compared to AFP (roughly 30MegaBytes/sec compared to 60MegaBytes/sec). I'll start researching down that path to see if maybe there was something about SMB that I am missing.

JamesNisly

Dabbler
Got my SMB issues sorted after some searching here on the forum and am now getting roughly 100MB/s up and down for sustained rights and very, very usable transfer speeds for real life applications. And everything is feeling rock solid. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I thought AFP was the obvious way to go and kinda ignored SMB.

JamesNisly

Dabbler
well, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure of how much of this is cause and effect and how much is circumstantial, but I started by just following what seemed to be some best practices to make sure I was starting from a good place.

These are the things I found on this forum that I thought seemed worth a try:

I removed the AFP share from the dataset as it seems as though having two sharing protocols on one data set is not advised. I had both active on the dataset when I tested SMB the first time.

I added the vfa objects catia, streams_xattr, and Fruit per the forum post found here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/slow-smb-mac-osx-sierra-10-12-6.56956/#post-399986

After watching your SMB permissions vid, I changed the storage permissions from a specific user to "nobody" and it seemed to yield an instant boost to throughput. This got me from about 6MB/s to about 30MB/s when ingesting raw files via Photo Mechanic. Not what I expected, but I'll take it.

I turned off smb client signing per instructions I found based on a forum post here: https://dpron.com/os-x-10-11-5-slow-smb/
This got me up to about 70MB/s.

Then, after reading through the ZFS primer, I pulled out the Samsung SSD drives that I thought at one time would be good to use as L2ARC and ZIL. I deleted all of the tunables created by auto tuning, rebooted, turned auto tuning back on, and let it re-do the auto tuning without the SSD's.

This really wasn't any sort of controlled experiment so I can't say with confidence what did what. But, adjusting permissions and smb signing sure did seem to have immediate effects.

Mostly, I feel like I got really lucky and things are working really well now. Which is great, kind of. I'd rather understand exactly what helped and why. But I don't think I'm anywhere close to that at this point.

m0nkey_

MVP
Then, after reading through the ZFS primer, I pulled out the Samsung SSD drives that I thought at one time would be good to use as L2ARC and ZIL. I deleted all of the tunables created by auto tuning, rebooted, turned auto tuning back on, and let it re-do the auto tuning without the SSD's.
Smart move. It's generally not recommended to enable auto-tune as it has been known to slow things down. I do have a bug ticket open to have it removed since it doesn't provide any kind of benefit. Also good you remove the L2ARC, as this will eat RAM and is generally used in larger systems (128GB+ RAM).

JamesNisly

Dabbler
Hmm, so no autotune at all, huh? When I was trying to clear out the L2ARC tunables, it seems as though tunables created by auto tune presist after you turn off auto tune.

So the best option is to turn off auto tune and delete all the tunables it created?

Status
Not open for further replies.