Re-purposing older equipment for a new Dev box

mark1301

Cadet
Hello All.

My old dev box won't boot to usb anymore to load the new TrueNas platform - or anything, so I guess it's time to re-purpose some of my older hardware and build another box. The current system is running w/o issues but as I can't get the IPMI to work, or the bios option to 'show up' on-screen - it's pretty much worthless for 'building' purposes now.
Here's what I was using -
  • 2x-CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 “Sandy Bridge” – 3.2GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8MB
  • 2x-Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F – Intel C204, Dual GigE, IPMI w/Virtual Media, 2x SATA-3, 4x SATA-2
  • 2x-RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Kingston 240 PIN DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model
  • 2x-Disk: Lexar Echo ZX 16GB
  • 2x-Case: LIAN LI PC-V351B Black Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
  • Fans: 4 x Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm “Slipstream” Case Fan
  • 2x-Power: Seasonic 400W 80 Plus Gold Fan less ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply
  • 2x-Intel Pro /1000 dual port nic 82571EB

The box will be used to build/tear down different VM's including some possible nested OS platforms to actually see how they compare against TrueNas and how easy it is to change from (current) my QEMU stored VM's to other systems. Basically I need the ability to load/test several different OS platforms, replicate data back/forth and possibly host some 'shares' on it. I don't think that I need to buy these items (case/fans/power supply) at this time because they are still in good shape and work.

Questions would be this:

1. which motherboard should I purchase if I want to keep using the same cpu - or is the cpu really not adequate for what I'm wanting to do due to # of threads or on-board cache? I previously almost exclusively used this box with an older version of vmware and had no issues as long as I kept my VMs' memory small.
2. will the existing memory still work with a new board or should I buy new? I thinking 32Gb is the minimum I'd want but certainly if a new MB is bought then I'd want to have the option to double, or more the amt of ram since I'll have several VM's running at different times.
3. I have several other drives laying around [1x120GB sata, 1x256GB sata (both are Seagate I think but since they are in the box I'd have to pull and see what they actually are) and 4 4-TB drives]. Unsure if they are SMR/CMR or now but can research more on as I get closer to the build, and adjust as needed.

Optimally if I can reuse most of the 'basics' then I should be able to save $$ and spend the $$ where needed (mb/ram/drives/etc). I'm thinking if the 4 4-TB dries work then that's all I'd need at this time to play with, but would upgrade those later to test some other items down the road. In the case of the MB it would be nice to either support more than (not shared) 6 drives just for future (either) expansion of the # of drives, or additional drives for multiple VDevs.

I was thinking, once it's built for the environment to look like this -
Initially boot from usb and run the OS on either the 128 or 256 ssd drive.
Use the 4 drives for the zfs pool and build my environment within there using shares/vm/etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how I can reuse or design this any different?
Any suggestions as to if I should load Proxmox and virtualize Scale on top - or just run Scale and everything directly from within it's platform?

Thanks in advance....
Mark