looking for opinions on setup

trex

Cadet
Hello all.

I am looking to get a new box built with the best read write speeds i can get with some fault tolerance.

15x 1TB Crucial MX500's

2x 1tb Samsung 970 pro nvme's

Dell R730xd 2x E5-2637 v3 3.5ghz with 64GB DDR4 H730 ( hoping it has a pass-through mode )

Use cases will be NFS / ISCSI on 10g network ports for Hypervisors for vm storage.

The goal is to have the best outcome for vm performance while also being able to have some fault tolerance on the drives.

I was thinking of going rz3 raid with ZLOG and Cache... but do i just slam them all in 1 group? i need a sanity check please!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The MX500s have a nasty habit of reporting errors that disappear and reappear constantly. Makes for huge warning spam.

If you want the best read and write speeds, you will want as many vdevs as possible, so something like 7 mirrored pairs plus a hot spare.

I’m dubious you’d benefit from L2ARC and you don’t have any SSDs listed that would be adequate for an SLOG, so let’s go with neither of them for now.

Finally, the RAID controller… Get rid of it. Yes, it nominally has an HBA mode. No, you do not want it. Sell it, buy an HBA330 mini and spare yourself the trouble.

trex

Cadet
well crap wish i would have known that before buying 16 of them... why wouldnt the nvme with gen 3 ports not work for anything? perhaps im not understanding how they will work one each doing totally different things. can you or someone explain that a bit more? lastly 7 mirrored pairs, is that two groups of 7 rz3? and just to be sure that would still give 3 drive failures?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
H730 ( hoping it has a pass-through mode )

It does. You won't want to use it. Read the following linked article.

Please do not argue with me that it has an "HBA mode".

Nope. Read the following linked articles.

We don't know what "rz3 raid" is, but if you meant RAIDZ3, then move on to this article.

What's that?

64GB DDR4

That's really pretty low for a production VM filer.

10g network ports

Try to make sure you pick a decent 10G card. We discuss the good ones over in this article:

2x 1tb Samsung 970 pro nvme's

You probably want more like 512GB of RAM for that much L2ARC. No less than 256GB. But worth noting you probably wouldn't see much benefit since you can already retrieve content from SATA SSD at a really good clip.

15x 1TB Crucial MX500's

The MX500's are dodgy, and I've had weird issues with WD Blues, the other cheap name brand SSD option, as well. Samsung 870 Evo is worth the price IMO.

trex

Cadet
noted on the hba, no one was arguing. it was what came with the "config'd" server. thats an easy swap.. :) ive just read the links you posted, this was very helpful. I do plan to use the intel x710.. basically im open for change so the HBA totally makes sense. but now this leaves me with 16 drives i may or not get a ton of spam from and two nvme's.. i can change out the drives eventually good news is that i have up to 24 slots plus 4 pcie 3.0 slots.. what would you do in this situation if you had to use this case? i currently have a need for 5TB of data not all of it is used for high iop related tasks... oh and i can always add more memory slots for days :)