Re-installing FreeNAS. Doing a clean install. Any advices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloofX

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I've been running FreeNAS on my server for many years now (since 9.10). I've always been happy with the OS but lately I've been running into small issues that seems to be related to the slow accumulation of a bunch of "incorrect settings" thanks to the numerous upgrades the server went trough. For instance, I'm now stuck at 11.1-U2 since my system never managed to boot U3... and somehow I can't delete the "faulty" boot environment (the delete just fails). I'm sure there is a solution to all those problems but I was already considering wiping the OS to start fresh on a new usb drive (without importing my current configuration).

At this point I don't mind reconfiguring the entire system (I don't have much services running on it anyway). My only worries was the import of my encrypted volumes (I have the passphrase and recovery keys) and user permissions. My understanding is that I will need the recovery key to import the volume into the "new system". And to make sure that the user permissions on the volume works properly I will have to re-create the users and user groups with the same uuid and gid. Is that correct?

Is there any other aspects of the "migration" I should look into before moving forward? (my intent was to keep my current usb drive as a fallback if I had issues rebuilding the system, but I was wondering if, once the encrypted volumes were imported into a different system, if their encryption key would still work in their previous system).

Thanks!

kdragon75

Wizard
And to make sure that the user permissions on the volume works properly I will have to re-create the users and user groups with the same uuid and gid. Is that correct?
That part I know is a yes. The rest about encryption, I wont touch encryption in FreeNAS, just to many bad stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.