RAID0 to RAID10

strudel

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to FreeNAS, especially when it comes to hardware.

I've been runninga FreeNAS server for some years, but now I want to add drives to allow for redundancy.

My setup is 2x Seagate 4TB hard drive in RAID0. I recently bought 2 WD Gold (awesome deal on Amazon...) 4TB each and I would like to add them as a backup to my first pool (8GB stripe). So basically, I would like to turn my RAID0 setup into RAID10.

Is it possible to do this without losing my data (I have a full backup however) or do I need to wipe everything and start from scratch?

If it's not possible, I would only want to swap the old drives with the new ones, can this easily be done (I see a replace disk option in the GUI)?

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
Please stop using raid analogies.. ZFS RAIDZ2 is not equivalent to conventional RAID10...

If you have a striped pool you can attach new drives to the existing vdevs consisting on single drives, making it a pool of mirror vdevs.

I’m not sure if you can use the UI however, and I don’t have the time to do the reading at the moment

strudel

Dabbler
Thanks guys, I'm pondering the option to just replace the old drives with the new ones. I just got an error (DEGRADED) so I think one of my disk is failing...

Is the procedure to replace disks in a stripe the same as the one described here in section 9.5.2 (https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/storage.html)? I would have to put the drive in, click "Replace drive" in the GUI, wait for it to resilver and repeat for the 2nd drive, right?

garm

Wizard
Ya, but if it’s already starting to degrade you should proabobly not do that.. build a new pool and copy off the content instead.. you are about to loose your original pool

strudel

Dabbler
Ok, is it safe to copy from the « degrading » pool or should I copy from backup?

strudel

Dabbler
See attached snips from the shell. After the last one, there's a series of files (with errors I guess). Should I delete those?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 301

garm

Wizard
I would not do any writing to the pool, just set up the new pool and rsync or ZFS send the content of your broken pool.

strudel

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. Are there tutorials that could help me perform this? I have no idea how to do this.

JaimieV

Guru

sretalla