RAID 5 and Pool creations

omecabs

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm new to TrueNas and have built my first very basic NAS to cut my teeth. I have repurposed a decommissioned server to build one that is more realistic for my needs. It is a Proliant DL360 G6 with 4 drives set up in RAID 5 (I have also tried RAID 0) and continue to get the warning "A stripe data vdev is highly discouraged and will result in data loss if it fails". Stripe is the only option available. Does anyone have a recommendation on proceeding? I feel like if I set up the drives in RAID 5 then do a "force" on creating this Pool, I "should" be safe in case of failure due to hardware RAID... but I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions.
Thanks in advanced.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
RAID controllers don't work reliably with TrueNAS, i.e. it's a disaster waiting to happen. Please search the forum and you will find plenty of threads on the subject.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

omecabs

Cadet
RAID controllers don't work reliably with TrueNAS, i.e. it's a disaster waiting to happen. Please search the forum and you will find plenty of threads on the subject.
Thanks for the response Chris. I've not been able to find a way to disable the RAID card (HP P401i) to be able to use the drives as regular drives. If you have directions, they would be greatly appreciated. I've googled my brains out and seems like this card is not one to be altered to passthru.
Thanks
Omar.

rasalone

Dabbler
Often its different firmware. I know my hp workstation didn't offer it but after searching for the controller itself I found a firmware that worked from supper micro.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You want an LSI-based HBA in IT mode. Most of the cards on eBay are from OEMs (like IBM, HP, Dell). I have an IBM M1015 as an example, which cost me around 30 Euros. You will find plenty of more information in this forum and the Internet in general.