Best redundancy option for 4 bay ITX case?

draetheus

Dabbler
I'm planning out a new TrueNAS ITX build with 4 bays. Historically I have always ran all 4 bays with RAID-Z1 (or RAID-5 on other systems), however I am more paranoid than I used to be. With HDD capacities as high as they are now, I would be fine using the extra bay for redundancy rather than capacity. Having only 4 bays leaves me with a lot of options:
  • Mirror + Stripe
  • RAID-Z2
  • RAID-Z1 with hot spare (I assume this isn't a good option based on what I've read)
  • RAID-Z1 with completely separate disk for backup (for example, 3x8TB drives in Z1 + 16TB backup drive)
This NAS is for home use, with a focus on video capture, editing, and conversion.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Just from a pool resilience viewpoint, here's what can happen as you lose a disk and then a second one (disk labeled A-E).

Yellow is a degraded VDEV/Pool and Red is an entirely dead pool.

1617020981768.png

Clearly if pool resilience is your priority, RAIDZ2 is the option.

With a hot-spare, you may still lose a second disk during resilver (which stresses the remaining disks heavily), so it's potentially no better than without the hot-spare in that case.

nick779

Contributor
Just from a pool resilience viewpoint, here's what can happen as you lose a disk and then a second one (disk labeled A-E).

Yellow is a degraded VDEV/Pool and Red is an entirely dead pool.

View attachment 46212

Clearly if pool resilience is your priority, RAIDZ2 is the option.

With a hot-spare, you may still lose a second disk during resilver (which stresses the remaining disks heavily), so it's potentially no better than without the hot-spare in that case.

So, I'm not here to disagree but merely as someone in the same position. Z2 vs mirrored vdevs for 4 disks.

While Z2 is definitely more fault tolerant, does this account for A the performance degradation and B the resliver stress?

Rebuilding a Z2 is going to stress ALL of the disks and poses a very real chance to get a URE from another drive if not cause it to fail altogether.

Again, just keeping a conversation going as I've been racking my brain over this same scenario. Easy resliver/copy from one disk vs random reads and parity calcs across all drives. I favor Z2 as well, but "R10" really has me thinking about the reduced resliver stress.

Last edited:

sretalla