BUILD Quiet rack mount case / CPU / motherboard advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keats

Cadet
I'd appreciate any advice about whether this is sane or not for Time Machine backups over wireless, file transfers over wireless and backups of a couple other servers that I am building. This is the first rack server I've built so hopefully I make some sense...

These are some of the requirements I'm trying to meet, more or less in order of importance.

1. Rack mounted
2. Quiet
3. Small form factor depth wise (short-depth 21" or less)
4. Lower power usage
5. Preferably under $1000

#1, 2 and 3 eliminates about 90% of my case options.

This is what I'm considering...

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17336229

I spent a really long time looking for a decent short-depth that was inexpensive, but apparently those don't exist or are 4u cases (which I would prefer to avoid). Hot-swap would have been nice, but it's not worth the cost for me. I haven't added memory, PSU or additional cooling to the list yet, but I do have 4 2TB Seagate NAS drives that will be in a RAID-Z or Z2 configuration.

I can't find a motherboard and CPU for much cheaper that supports ECC and AES-NI. If I want to expand in the future I was thinking of adding an m1015 that runs some cables out the back of my case through a bracket to the case below, which will be 4u (if that's possible, I have no idea how SAS works).

Additionally I was thinking of replicating my data to a cheap 4TB WD single drive offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.