SOLVED Quicksync Support with ECC RDIMM's - Is This Available?

Cardnyl

Cadet
I am trying to find a motherboard and CPU combination can satisfy the following wants on a "baby's first TrueNAS"

• CPU with Quick Sync* support - Kaby Lake or newer for HVEC 10-bit support Quick Sync Support List
  • Motherboard accepts ECC RDIMM or LRDIMM (I have a cheap source of modules I'd like to leverage in lieu of buying UDIMMs)
  • 1x PCIe slot to accommodate a card to get enough drives connected to the system
  • Ideally ATX (or smaller) formfactor but I'm getting desperate enough that I'm willing to modify a 2U enclosure to accept a proprietary board size
I've scoured the Supermicro and ASRock Rack sites while also trying to make sense of the Xeon product models and have come up empty handed. Wanted to see if this unicorn exists before I loosen the requirements (specifically dropping the need for ECC RDIMM/LRDIMM in favor of UDIMMs)

*: With respect to Quick Sync, I understand that within the App's configuration within TrueNAS one has to set the GPU Resource to "Allocate 1". My question is whether or not it is possible in a single CPU system to allocate the CPU in this way to 2 different apps that can leverage Quick Sync or would such a system need to be multisocket?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not going to happen on consumer-derived platforms, which are all strictly UDIMM-only.

Cardnyl

Cadet
Not going to happen on consumer-derived platforms, which are all strictly UDIMM-only.
So basically short of some large entity (nation state actor, HPC builders, etc.) wanting that configuration, it's not going to happen.

I appreciate the confirmation that there isn't already a product with this set of criteria. I refocus my efforts on a UDIMM solution with the newest implementation of Quick Sync as possible for future proofing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Would a discrete Intel GPU do the trick? Because then it's a very simple problem space.

Cardnyl

Cadet
Would a discrete Intel GPU do the trick? Because then it's a very simple problem space.
Yes it would but its been something I've been trying to avoid mainly due to a desire to keep the PCIe lanes open for future expansion to support more drives. If the choice is between RDIMM/LRDIMM's using a discrete card vs. UDIMM's and no discrete card I'd prefer the latter.

Do you by chance know the answer to the second question I had regarding GPU allocation as it relates to apps?:
With respect to Quick Sync, I understand that within the App's configuration within TrueNAS one has to set the GPU Resource to "Allocate 1". My question is whether or not it is possible in a single CPU system to allocate the CPU in this way to 2 different apps that can leverage Quick Sync or would such a system need to be multisocket?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's complicated. It seems that Intel is rolling out SR-IOV support in their driver, but that's far from complete. And it's not clear how Quick Sync would be handled in such a scenario.

So, for now, the answer is probably no. CPUs which support multiple sockets don't have iGPUs, so they don't enter into this discussion at all.

Cardnyl

Cadet
It's complicated. It seems that Intel is rolling out SR-IOV support in their driver, but that's far from complete. And it's not clear how Quick Sync would be handled in such a scenario.

So, for now, the answer is probably no. CPUs which support multiple sockets don't have iGPUs, so they don't enter into this discussion at all.
Thanks I appreciate all your help with this

Stux

MVP
Was certainly possible with earlier gens to get super micro with the right chipset to do quick sync and pci pass through, but not necessarily RDIMM support, if you were careful.