quick vdev and zpool question, sys build check, aswell as ssd caching question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbates58

Cadet
hello all.

i have a quick question regarding the most optimum setup for the freenas system im looking to build. im basing it on

• SuperMicro x10sl7-f
  • Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
  • 32GB Crucial 16GB (4 x 8GB)
the case i am using has 9 5.25 inch bays and i want to populate them with 3
  • IcyDock MB074SP-B (4 in 3 caddys)
those caddy's support 4 drives and a 120mm fan. so plenty of cooling potential to keep the drives happy. and i only want to use a max of 12 (or potentially 14) drives.

i was planning on filling the docks up with:

• 12 x 6TB WD Reds
and im wanting to know whether on not im better off getting all 12 drives initially and just building it totaly from the start. or just buy them in lots of 4 when i need to expand.

i cant see me near future needs expanding past 70-80 odd TB.

but first im just a bit unsure on the best way to set up the vdevs. and what raid level i should use. the system will primarily be used as a media streaming system aswell as a secondary backup from my nas to keep it extra secure (the nas is also backed up offsite) so while data security is important, it is not a critical factor. The total media library is also backed up on a friends system so again, data security is not a critical factor. but i dont want to have to haul the server around for a petty drive failure, i would like it to fail a bit more than just a drive. but i would like the most space available that i can. it will also sync my seedbox back home and run plex server. and just local network file access. thats mostly it.

also, in regards to ssd caching, will i see any benefits to populating the remaining 2 sata ports with ssd's to cache. or should i just get another 2 wd reds and throw them in there.

and on another note, based on the use of the system. will the 32gb of ram suffice? i know that its a thumbrule of 1gb/TB, but the board only supports 32gb. and i know that if its mostly read intensive i could get away with a bit less.

so, to summarize

• how does my system hardware look
  • what is the best vdev setup based on the hardware im planning on using
  • will i get a benefit from ssd cache
  • should i ignore ssd cache and just use another 2 wd reds
  • will i get away with 32gb of ram? or should i look for another board?
cheers

Jason

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
how does my system hardware look
Looks great, nice choices.

what is the best vdev setup based on the hardware im planning on using
I would go with 2 RAIDZ2 vdev's consisting of 6 drives each. You can buy 6 now and set it up and add 6 later or get all 12 now.
will i get a benefit from ssd cache
Not likely with the use scenario you have described.
should i ignore ssd cache and just use another 2 wd reds
See above about ssd cache. What you may consider is a small SSD or SATA DOM for a boot device with the available SATA port. With 2 available ports you could also use 2 boot devices and mirror them if you choose.
will i get away with 32gb of ram? or should i look for another board?
I'll leave this one to the more knowledgable members to decide, I'm too new to this to provide an answer.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.