Just a quick question regarding RAM

MarkusH

Dabbler
So Im doing a veeam backup currently but its just on one pc, later it will be on 4 at the same time and currently my 16 port switch is only 10/100 which will be upgraded to 10/100/1000 meaning the workload would be more intense if something. So my ram is full with just 1 backup in process, should I upgrade it to 16 (is it the bottleneck)? Or the system just tries to utilise 100% of its resources.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 66

T_PT

Dabbler
I'm still quite new to TrueNAS, but that looks normal to me. Most of your RAM is used as your ZFS Cache so it doesn't appear to be struggling with anything (at least on the face of it!).

More RAM will get used up and most likely help performance, but if you're only using a 10/100 switch then I'd guess that has to be your bottleneck.

MarkusH

Dabbler
I'm still quite new to TrueNAS, but that looks normal to me. Most of your RAM is used as your ZFS Cache so it doesn't appear to be struggling with anything (at least on the face of it!).

More RAM will get used up and most likely help performance, but if you're only using a 10/100 switch then I'd guess that has to be your bottleneck
Thanks for the reply and yeah that does seem to be case, so I should just pay to service consumption then?

T_PT

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply and yeah that does seem to be case, so I should just pay to service consumption then?
I'm not sure what you mean by "pay to service consumption" ?

Based on my understanding of what you're doing, I'd suggest the following:
1. Get the switch upgraded if that is only 10/100 as I suspect that will be the current bottleneck (although your screenshot does show 1000BaseT)

2. More RAM - if you can easily add more, then it can only help your system to get to 16GB, but it may not address the current bottleneck

3. Veeam - I'd configure your jobs to run on a staggered schedule if possible so that they're not competing for bandwidth to your truenas, or competing for disk write performance on your pool

I hope that helps :)

Pitfrr

Wizard
should I upgrade it to 16
Well, 16GB is the minimum requirement for TrueNAS so you might want to... :tongue:
(And the system will still use 100% or almost of the resources)

Indeed as @T_PT mentions, the RAM is used as cache. So the more RAM, the better.
The services, it's not only your backup process, there are other stuff happening in the background as well.

MarkusH

Dabbler
I'm not sure what you mean by "pay to service consumption" ?

Based on my understanding of what you're doing, I'd suggest the following:
1. Get the switch upgraded if that is only 10/100 as I suspect that will be the current bottleneck (although your screenshot does show 1000BaseT)

2. More RAM - if you can easily add more, then it can only help your system to get to 16GB, but it may not address the current bottleneck

3. Veeam - I'd configure your jobs to run on a staggered schedule if possible so that they're not competing for bandwidth to your truenas, or competing for disk write performance on your pool

I hope that helps :)
Didnt even notice, I meant pay attention my bad. Also NAS shows 1000 because its directly connected to the router, other devices are not. And thanks for the answer

MarkusH

Dabbler
Well, 16GB is the minimum requirement for TrueNAS so you might want to... :tongue:
(And the system will still use 100% or almost of the resources)

Indeed as @T_PT mentions, the RAM is used as cache. So the more RAM, the better.
The services, it's not only your backup process, there are other stuff happening in the background as well.
Alright thanks for the answer, also 16gb is the minimum for the OS, 8 is for the ram.

Pitfrr

Wizard
also 16gb is the minimum for the OS, 8 is for the ram.
What do you mean by that I'm getting a bit confused... :smile:

Do you mean 16GB is the minimum for the OS installation (i.e. hard drive)? Ok....
And then no, 8GB is not the minimum for the RAM but 16GB actually.
I know it is stated as the minimum requirements but.... if you read a bit through the forum, it is highly recommended to get 16GB. It is a bit confusing unfortunately.

MarkusH

Dabbler
What do you mean by that I'm getting a bit confused... :smile:

Do you mean 16GB is the minimum for the OS installation (i.e. hard drive)? Ok....
And then no, 8GB is not the minimum for the RAM but 16GB actually.
I know it is stated as the minimum requirements but.... if you read a bit through the forum, it is highly recommended to get 16GB. It is a bit confusing unfortunately.
Oh alright, just ordered the 16GB kit anyways, thanks for the advice.

somethingweird

Contributor
I noticed that the NIC is realtek. Might want to replace that card with an Intel NIC. Do a search on Realtek to understand why.