New NAS build - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
Hello there FreeNAS community .

Currently , i am thinking of building a NAS server ( if thats the correct wording ?? ) , for home use , and occasional business use .

Meaning , most of the time its going to be backups from my gaming PC , storing movies , pictures , files and probably Plex aswell .

Im new to FreeNAS as an OS , but learning it shouldnt be an issue , im more worried about the hardware .

This is what i originally had planned as the system :
- AMD Opteron 4274 ( octa core @ 50W , 2.5Ghz base , 2.8 / 3.5 Ghz Turbo )
- Supermicro H8SCM-F C32 Socket motherboard , mATX , 4DIMM slots , 3 LAN ports , 4x Sata 3Gbit ports )
- 32GB Hynix DDR3 1600Mhz ECC REG RAM
- Noctua NH-U9DO A3 Cooler
- 2x 2TB WD Blue drives
- 350W PSU
- Antec VSK-3000 mATX case

Is this going to be enough for my needs ? Maybe faster HDDs ?

Also , this is the first time i have heard of SATA DOM , so if someone could shed some light on this .

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Is this going to be enough for my needs ? Maybe faster HDDs ?
The drives you have are not designed for 24/7 operation and would not be recommended. See the "Recommended Hardware, Read This First"
post in the hardware forum section.
Also , this is the first time i have heard of SATA DOM , so if someone could shed some light on this .

dompicture.JPG

DOM stands for: Disk On Module (pictured is a Supermicro model)
It plugs directly into a SATA port and also needs 5v power,
the methods to connect to power are many and varied.
These are fairly popular for a boot device in FreeNAS.

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
So , WD Reds then ? Along with one of those 32GB ROMs ?

What about the rest of the system ?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
AMD Opteron 4274 ( octa core @ 50W , 2.5Ghz base , 2.8 / 3.5 Ghz Turbo )
IMHO, you may want to give more consideration to using AMD. While I do not personally run it, others have but with varied success. I might get blasted by some AMD guys, but it is worth mentioning...
2x 2TB WD Blue drives
Aside from not using WD Blues; how are you planning on using these drives? Mirrored? If so, just note that you will have a little less than 2TB of actual space to use. As well, only one drive redundancy. If one drive dies and the other fails before you can replace it, then all of your data is toast.
If you are thinking about striping them, then just don't... Not a good idea at all...

Out of curiosity, how much are you at for costs (with including the hard drives)? May want to give some consideration to a Dell T20 (think it is like $180.00) with additional RAM some thought. What you decide on hardware wise is the foundation and should warrant careful consideration.

+1 to what @BigDave said, go over the "Recommended Hardware, Read This First" he linked. Also, there are some links under "Recommended Reading" in my sig that you may want to review as well...

NewNASGuy

Dabbler
IMHO, you may want to give more consideration to using AMD. While I do not personally run it, others have but with varied success. I might get blasted by some AMD guys, but it is worth mentioning...

Aside from not using WD Blues; how are you planning on using these drives? Mirrored? If so, just note that you will have a little less than 2TB of actual space to use. As well, only one drive redundancy. If one drive dies and the other fails before you can replace it, then all of your data is toast.
If you are thinking about striping them, then just don't... Not a good idea at all...

Out of curiosity, how much are you at for costs (with including the hard drives)? May want to give some consideration to a Dell T20 (think it is like $180.00) with additional RAM some thought. What you decide on hardware wise is the foundation and should warrant careful consideration.

+1 to what @BigDave said, go over the "Recommended Hardware, Read This First" he linked. Also, there are some links under "Recommended Reading" in my sig that you may want to review as well...

Yes , planned on using them Mirrored

Tho , the Dell T20 looks promising , here in Croatia prices are extremely inflated . For example , budget wise . Im looking at 500$ for the complete setup . Second-hand refurbished xeons from the list in the Reccomended Hardware thread , are going for 350$ . USED . Only reason id go with the Opteron is that i know the guy who is selling it , for 115$ , and a seperate Supermicro mATX mobo to go with it , for 80$ if i remember corrcetly . The mobo is used , while the CPU is brand new .

Back to the Dell , while it is MSRP 180$ ( from Dells site ) , i dont know of a Dell dealer around where i live . Only one i know of are in the capitol city , some 380 km away . And the one in the capitol city retails the T20 with the pentium , 4 gigs of ram and a 1Tb drive for close to 450$ .

And for the stuff i lsited , i guess Pentiums / Celerons dont cut it ?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.