SOLVED Questions regarding encryption in TrueNAS-12.0-U1

Be mindful not to use names for datasets and snapshots that are "interesting", since native ZFS encryption does not obfuscate metadata and pool structure. Here is a comparison between common block encryption solutions:

My goal is just to not need to worry about what's on the disk if I need to send it in for warranty replacement or when I retire it.
There is a caveat concerning native ZFS encryption vs traditional block device encryption: what is exposed to the public. I'll give my own summary understanding comparing three common options:

Native ZFS, at rest (or powered off):
  • Inaccessible
    • File Data
    • File Names and Properties
    • Sizes of individual files (unsure about this one)
    • Directory listings and structures
    • Logs (if logs are saved here)
  • Accessible
    • Encryption Options and Hashes
    • ZFS Metadata and Options
    • Number of Files and Blocks (via pointers and inodes) [1]
    • Dataset Names
    • Snapshot Names
    • Free Space
    • Used Space

LUKS, at rest (or powered off):
  • Inaccessible
    • File Data
    • Sizes of individual files and folders
    • Number of files and folders
    • Free Space (can be inferred if underlying devices were not filled with random data prior to creation)
    • Used Space (can be inferred if underlying devices were not filled with random data prior to creation)
    • File System and metadata within
  • Accessible

VeraCrypt container, at rest (or powered off):
  • Inaccessible
    • File Data
    • Sizes of individual files and folders
    • Number of files and folders
    • Free Space (container filled with random data upon creation)
    • Used Space (container filled with random data upon creation)
    • File System and metadata within
  • Accessible
    • Apparently nothing, just a suspicious mess of random data [2]

[1] Seems like native ZFS encryption is "leakier" than I first suspected, but it makes sense considering it requires certain information and metadata in order to send and recv, create snapshots, scrub, etc, without requiring encrypted datasets to be unlocked.

[2] Until decrypted, a VeraCrypt partition/device appears to consist of nothing more than random data (it does not contain any kind of "signature"). Therefore, it should be impossible to prove that a partition or a device is a VeraCrypt volume or that it has been encrypted.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Thanks for your long replies. I am not sure though, if I need to change anything.

Right now I encrypted a single dataset where all my data is stored. According to your table, that should include everything crucial like data, file and folder names. Why would I want to encrypt the system dataset or the root ot anything else beside the actual dataset where my stuff is stored?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Why would I want to encrypt the system dataset or the root ot anything else beside the actual dataset where my stuff is stored?

That's if you're paranoid about leakage out of the encrypted dataset into the system dataset or iocage datasets (e.g., jail /tmps). I think you're pretty safe.