SOLVED Questions regarding encryption in TrueNAS-12.0-U1

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Hey guys.

Sorry if thats the 100th thread about encryption, but I am pretty puzzled right now. I did a search but weirdly it yielded mostly pretty old threads (>1 year).

My plan was: Supermicro A2SDI-H-TF, four 8TB WD red, 32GB RAM and a sata dom. Create one pool, raidz1, have it encrypted. Set a password.
System does a cold boot, someone has to log in and type the password via webinterface. Pool unlocks and the share is accessible.
Tha's actually how I've been doing it for a while, not sure on the version, I suppose it's 11.

My concern is theft. There's lots of work stuff on that NAS, about 6TB and growing.

But it seems I cannot do it like that anymore. I can encrypt it, but the key is stored on the NAS and of course that renders it useless against theft. It helps in discarding the disks, though.
Adding a password is also not possible if I understood the manual correctly. For that I'd have to move the system dataset to a different pool, which is not possible becuase I only have one pool. Also it is not a smart thing to do to put it on a flash drive, at least it says so in the manual.

So what to do? Did I miss something? Do I have to go back to an older version and never run an update again?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
When you create the encrypted pool, you could use either a key or a passphrase to unlock. You may have to destroy and recreate your pool to switch from key to passphrase.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply, but during creation of the pool I cannot switch from key to passphrase? At least I didnt see any possible checkbox or dropdown to do so. Only afterwards theres "encryption options" with the mentioned problem of having to move the system dataset.

Samuel Tai

1610667871904.png

Notice the arrow on the right by Key? You can select Passphrase after pulling down.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
pool.png

That looks differently on my system. I don't have the arrow, just for switching AES algorithms.

Samuel Tai

Yes, this is in the Encryption Options screen.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Ah ok, that's what I meant in the first post. I cannot switch from key to passphrase, because the system tells me there's the system dataset on that pool. But I only have one pool, I cannot move the system dataset anywhere else.

Samuel Tai

Unfortunately, this is a design limitation with the system dataset, which was introduced in 11.3 and GELI encryption. The system dataset can't wait for a passphrase on boot.

Of course, this only applies to the root dataset on the pool. You can have passphrases on daughter datasets.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Any disadvantages if I go back to that version? Why can the system dataset run without a key in that version?

Samuel Tai

No, you have to go back to 11.2, not 11.3. 11.3 was the first version that had this limitation.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Thanks for clarification, that saved me at least one reinstall ;)

Any problems with my plan?

Samuel Tai

Personally, I would stay at 12, and leave the root of the pool unencrypted for the system dataset. Then the daughter datasets with sensitive data I'd set with passphrases. Daughter datasets that don't need encryption I'd either leave unencrypted or encrypted with keys.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Sounds like a nice tip. Just making sure I got that right: I create a normal pool. and add one or more datasets. They work similar to a partition on a single disk? Then I encrypt that new dataset, like I would with a partition. The system dataset is unaffected and if my NAS gets stolen, nothing can be accessed?

Samuel Tai

Correct.

Check out my posts about using "pseudo-root" datasets. It keeps things more tidy and easier to maintain, as well as manage native ZFS encryption.

Ever since 12.X, I have always used pseudo-roots, and I treat the "real" root as nothing more than a place-holder for the zpool itself. I cover the issue of the .system dataset as well.

And you might find this useful to better understand what native ZFS encryption does not protect / hide:

PhreakShow

Dabbler
That's a lot to read, but it raised a suspicion that I might not have understood the concept correctly.

I created a single pool, no encryption. I created a new dataset, encrypted with passphrase. On that dataset, I created a share where all my files go to. Share ACL set to full access to everyone, file ACL set according to the user's rights.

In case of hardware problems, what do I have to backup now? With an encrypted pool I'd save my key file. But now that I am using a passphrase, is there anything to backup at all for desaster recovery?

Samuel Tai

No, with a passphrase, there's no key file to export.

PhreakShow

Dabbler
Ah so I did get it right. If I have to move to a different hardware to recover from hardware failure, the only thing needed is the passphrase.

Ah so I did get it right. If I have to move to a different hardware to recover from hardware failure, the only thing needed is the passphrase.
Yup! Just keep in mind encryption happens on a per-dataset basis. Even if a parent dataset is not encrypted, you can always create a child dataset underneath with encryption (and choose passphrase or keystring/keyfile).

If you want System Dataset (.system) to be encrypted, then the root dataset must be encrypted (with a keystring/keyfile, not a passphrase.) The reason for this is that the .system dataset must be available upon boot with a key that is loaded from the boot pool. How TrueNAS handles this is by inheriting whatever encryption property the "root dataset" has and applying it to .system upon creation / re-location. (This is true for the initial creation of iocage, as well.)

Upon creating a pool for the first time, the option to "enable encryption" is somewhat misleading, as it does not dictate encryption for all datasets in the pool: only the highest-level root dataset. Yet for most users, they simply have the children datasets "inherit" the root dataset's encryption properties.

Again, this is why I use "pseudo-roots". You get more flexibility with dataset management and send/recv replications. The "true root" dataset serves as a shiny place-holder and has no bearing on making backups nor dictating encryption across the board; even if you only ever have just one pseudo-root. (For me, it's main purpose is to have .system and iocage inherit encryption with a keyfile.)