Questions for nested/hyperconverged TrueNAS storage for vSphere

EHRETic

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with TrueNAS, so please indulge me

In order to reduce the number of devices running in my homelab (electricity is getting expensive in Europe), I have a somewhat ambitious project which is to replace my Synology NAS dedicated to VMs by a pair of TrueNAS VMs with connection to physical disks on my 2 ESXi hosts.

For redundancy reasons, the storage will be accessed by iSCSI on the 2 VMs frome both hosts via two dedicated 10 GB/s network cards (VMs and hosts), allowing storage vMotion, storage DRS, etc... The hosts are pretty beefy, so I'm hoping they'll be okay.

I've already tested the basic concept, everything works: the LUNs are visible, you can put VMs on them and it works apparently fine but before migrating everything I have a whole bunch of questions concerning several levels of configuration and which are:

Hardware:
I plan to reuse the SSD disks (Samsung 1 TB EVO) from my NAS. If I buy 2-3 more, I'll have 3 or 4 available per TrueNAS VM/ESXi Host. What would be the best configuration for the pool/vdevs/zvols? I'm really trying to get my head around this, but it's not easy.
- Should I go for a 3 or 4-disk raid concept, or should I do something else?
- Is there an optimal vdevs/zvols configuration (knowing that 2 TB of available storage is the minimum I want per TrueNASVM)? Please feel free to give me size indications.

Software:
- On the vdev, what values are optimal (Sync, Compression)?
- What about compression and dedup on the zvol(s)? To avoid overloading, isn't it better to leave everything disabled?
- Is it better to use a large LUN linked to a large zvol?
- on the extend, what are the desired values for the zvol?
- If I ever add another volume with a different disk concept from the main pool, is it better to have several targets?

My workload is a mix of Windows, Linux and netsted labs. I have between 40 and 50 VMs running all the time.

I know that's a lot of questions, but right now I feel like my head's going to explode before I understand it all ... my thing/job is VMware, storage is another world!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me and show me the way.