Question. User authentication with Microsoft account

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie200112

Contributor
OK so I have 3 computers in my home I normally connect to my Freenas server with. They all run windows 10. However 2 of them are HTPC's and use a local account while my main desktop I have my Microsoft account set up on. Now I had only been able to find my freenas on my desktop. But when I changed them to be my Microsoft account it could find them. I also noticed in the user settings I have the Microsoft account box selected.

So question is does this option only allow a Microsoft account to access the NAS or does it simply allow them? I would prefer the HTPC's to be able to log on without my MS account. Would unchecking that box then allow all three PCS to access it freely?

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK so I have 3 computers in my home I normally connect to my Freenas server with. They all run windows 10. However 2 of them are HTPC's and use a local account while my main desktop I have my Microsoft account set up on. Now I had only been able to find my freenas on my desktop. But when I changed them to be my Microsoft account it could find them. I also noticed in the user settings I have the Microsoft account box selected.

So question is does this option only allow a Microsoft account to access the NAS or does it simply allow them? I would prefer the HTPC's to be able to log on without my MS account. Would unchecking that box then allow all three PCS to access it freely?

Thanks
I believe MS accounts need to have something written into a smbpasswd file. It's on a per-account basis and shouldn't prevent authentication with non-MS accounts.

eddie200112

Contributor
Hmm I know I haven't edited any file like that. Just when I first connect to the Nas it asks for the login and password for my freenas and then good to go.

Could it be I only have that one user account setup? Do I need a separate one for the non MS pc's

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hmm I know I haven't edited any file like that. Just when I first connect to the Nas it asks for the login and password for my freenas and then good to go.

I probably wasn't clear enough. I was describing something that happens behind the scenes when you check that box.

Could it be I only have that one user account setup? Do I need a separate one for the non MS pc's
These settings have no effect on whether your server is visible over the network. However, making these changes may force samba to restart, which may force a new master browser election causing your server to appear when it previously wasn't visible. You should be able to access your server via IP-Address regardless of whether it appears in network neighborhood. Just type "\\<ip-address of freenas server>" (i.e \\192.168.0.42)" in File Explorer. You can use a single account for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.