Question regarding CIFS and NFS shares when no internet connection is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobygoby

Dabbler
Hello fellow FreeNAS users!
I have run into a strange problem and I cannot find an answer in the forums or through repeated google searches.
I recently setup my first FreeNAS server (9.2.1) and it is working well and I am very pleased with it. I have 6 drives connected in a raid 1+0 configuration (a stripe of 3 mirrors). I have set up CIFS sharing and NFS sharing as outlined in the freenas9.2.1_guide PDF.

My internet service cuts out every afternoon when it gets hot outside. (Time Warner Cable has my apartment building connected to the next one using a temporary unburied coax cable while they work on a permanent underground connection. So to get internet back, each afternoon I go out and water the coax cable to cool it down and restore my internet connection.)

When the internet is working, all my devices (Win7 computer, 2 x Raspbmc, Nexus 7 tablet) can see the FreeNAS server and the CIFS share. But when the internet connection drops, none of them can connect anymore.

I don't know why the Raspberry Pis would need an internet connection to see the local FreeNAS server. I suspect that some setting is incorrect or perhaps there is an NTP time server issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem or perhaps knows how to solve it?
Thanks so much for your time!
-John

D

dlavigne

Might be DNS. Can they connect by IP while the Internet is down?

gobygoby

Dabbler
No, the clients can only connect to the local FreeNAS server when the internet is up.
The Raspberry Pi's and the computer do have static IP address (ie 192.168.1.xxx) and they do have the ISPs DNS server address saved as well (usually two or three lines below the static IP address).

Status
Not open for further replies.