Question about replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

enemy85

Guru
Hi all, just 2 "simple" questions to help my clarify some doubts...
My situation: I have 2 freenas boxes, the MAIN ONE always on with snapshots activated (and sometimes replication), and a SECONDARY in a remote place, that i sometimes activate as replication target of the primary box.
Now the questions:
1) On the primary box I found some "expired" snapshots still there...I guess they are still there because taken while was ON the replication task, but they have never been replicated to the secondary box...am I right?
2) Is there a way (or command) to automatically cancel the expired one once replicated, or should i do it manually?

Thank you

toadman

Guru
Hi all, just 2 "simple" questions to help my clarify some doubts...
My situation: I have 2 freenas boxes, the MAIN ONE always on with snapshots activated (and sometimes replication), and a SECONDARY in a remote place, that i sometimes activate as replication target of the primary box.
Now the questions:
1) On the primary box I found some "expired" snapshots still there...I guess they are still there because taken while was ON the replication task, but they have never been replicated to the secondary box...am I right?
2) Is there a way (or command) to automatically cancel the expired one once replicated, or should i do it manually?

Thank you

On (1), I don't know. I would have thought snapshot expiration would cause the primary system to remove the snapshop irrespective of replication. i.e. it's expired, remove it. I would have to go look at the replication code to see what it does. I suspect it looks at the snapshot list on the SOURCE, compares to the snapshot list on the TARGET, and then (a) sends any snapshots on the source that are not on the target and (b) removes any snapshots on the target that are not on the source.

On (2), what do you mean by "cancel"? Delete? I would have thought the system would delete it if expired.

There have been snapshot and replication bugs on some versions of Freenas, not sure if they exist on 11.1-RELEASE.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS 11.1 RELEASE 64bit
You might need to update to 11.1-U6 as some of this may have been fixed. You can manually delete snapshots from the GUI. Very easy.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

enemy85

Guru
You might need to update to 11.1-U6 as some of this may have been fixed. You can manually delete snapshots from the GUI. Very easy.
Actually primary nas is on 11.1-U6 and secondary on 11.1-4, and i know i can do that, is just a bit tricky to search for the expired ones between all of them

enemy85

Guru
On (1), I don't know. I would have thought snapshot expiration would cause the primary system to remove the snapshop irrespective of replication. i.e. it's expired, remove it. I would have to go look at the replication code to see what it does. I suspect it looks at the snapshot list on the SOURCE, compares to the snapshot list on the TARGET, and then (a) sends any snapshots on the source that are not on the target and (b) removes any snapshots on the target that are not on the source.

On (2), what do you mean by "cancel"? Delete? I would have thought the system would delete it if expired.

There have been snapshot and replication bugs on some versions of Freenas, not sure if they exist on 11.1-RELEASE.

1) my idea was that once expired, they should be cancelled, no matter if replicated or not, but it seems not working like this.
2)yes, i meant delete because as they are still there, even if expired, i know i can delete them manually, but it's just a bit tricky to search for the expired ones between all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.