Question regarding deleting stale snapshots on remote system

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchData

Contributor
Hi folks.

I have a second FreeNAS system used exclusively to backup my first through replication tasks.

I would like to create a manual recursive snapshot on the first and then delete all the other snapshots on the first. My goal is to free up all available space not used for existing files on the primary system.

Once that new manual snapshot is replicated, I would expect all the previously replicated snapshots to be deleted from the backup system (as they are now stale). I would further expect any files that were previously replicated, but are not also in the new manual snapshot, will be deleted from the backup system.

In other words, my backup system will contain only one replicated snapshot and only those files that are known in that snapshot.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for your help and for the wonderfulness of FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I would expect all the previously replicated snapshots to be deleted from the backup system
Hmm... What does the manual say? I'm not sure how the pruning is being done, these days.

TooMuchData

Contributor
Thanks to those who responded.

I proceeded as outlined above. I can report that the end result is as I expected, but the process was not.

I had thought (hoped) that any files contained in the new snapshot as well as the deleted snaphots would be retained. Not so. In the process of deleting the stale snapshots the files were deleted. They were replicated again as part of the new snapshot. Makes sense (to me now).

All's well that ends well, but I won't be doing this again (just to regain some fractional portion of a TB in my pool).

Status
Not open for further replies.