SOLVED Rolling back snapshots

adrianwi

Guru
I've just rolled back to a manual snapshot I'd taken last week after updating a VM. This appears to have deleted all the automatic snapshots taken in the last 7 days.

I'm pretty sure rolling back snapshots in the past hasn't automatically deleted snapshots taken before?

How do I recover the snapshots that still exist on my backup FreeNAS box and is this standard behaviour?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I've just rolled back to a manual snapshot I'd taken last week after updating a VM. This appears to have deleted all the automatic snapshots taken in the last 7 days.
This is how rollbacks work... everything between the point you are at and the point you're going back to can't continue to exist.

How do I recover the snapshots that still exist on my backup FreeNAS box and is this standard behaviour?
Had you set a pool checkpoint before the rollback, you could go back to that checkpoint. Other than that, you're restoring from backups.

I'm pretty sure rolling back snapshots in the past hasn't automatically deleted snapshots taken before?
It has, but maybe you haven't actually been rolling back to access those, just accessing the various different snapshots in the .zfs directory. (in the scenario you mention, maybe that's really what you wanted to do... copy over the contents of the snapshot on top of the current, which would have retained all the intermediate snapshots)

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks for the reply!

I'll have to read up a little more on snapshots but I managed to resolve the issue I'd created in a slightly different way so it's not as urgent now anyway.

Cheers