Question about replication

markgca

Dabbler
i have a server with two pools. i set up replication from one to the other just so i have an independent copy (backup is elsewhere).

the main pool is encrypted, the 2nd pool is not (at least not the pool)
when replicated it creates datasets on the target pool that are encrypted via the same key as on the source pool. makes sense and works properly

my question; if the 2nd/target pool was encrypted, would the replicated data set still have its own encryption key from the source pool? or would it just rely on the encryption of that drive? i dont have a spare system to test this on at the moment...

thanks for any help

if the 2nd/target pool was encrypted, would the replicated data set still have its own encryption key from the source pool?
Correct, nothing changes.

The encryption (or lack thereof) of the root dataset does not change this. Even if the root dataset remains locked, "raw streams" allows sending the encrypted datasets from the source pool anyways.

markgca

Dabbler
One more - If the target pool is encrypted, will the target replicated datasets take on the encryption from the main (encrypted) pool, or rely on the encryption of the target pool? I would assume the former, but again, dont know…

I would assume in general the pool encryption would pass to the datasets, but not to any replicated/encrypted datasets, else that would be a method around the original encryption.

Thanks for helping me on this

If you're doing a replication that includes all dataset properties, I believe that the GUI uses a "raw stream" in the background, so it will retain the source's encryption properties.

Keep in mind there are no "encrypted pools". Only datasets can be encrypted. The top-level root dataset is a dataset at the end of the day.