Question about memory i got a recommendation to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

warri

Guru
I don't have any personal experience with both ASRock or Supermicro, but people in this forum tend to recommend Supermicro boards.
But, I've read promising things about the new ASRock server boards. The only catch might be, that ASRock only recently re-entered the server hardware market, while Supermicro is long established - in the end time will tell.

Have a look into the hardware forum to find out what other users think, especially:
- Hardware recommendations (read this first)

KempelofDoom

Explorer
I want to build home NAS base on FreeNAS and i got a recommendation to motherborad and memory:

ASRock E3C224D2I

Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC

And i saw that this memory is unbuffered, this mean that this memory is without error fix ?

You might run into issues with SMART. Make sure you can see all of your drive info in the command line. Cyberjock can explain why more than I can but it's worth using a good drive controller so you can get full SMART data for your daily reports. You ARE setting that up too right? ;)

falukky

Explorer
Can you elaborate please about SMART ? (i am a totally new with FreeNAS...)

mjws00

Guru
Not sure why that board would have trouble with smart. Typically that is a problem reserved for raid controllers.

That is a very popular board amongst the m-itx server crowd. The downside being it tops out at 16GB.
Its bigger brother the E3C224D2I-14s gets you to 32GB and has a built in LSI 2308 (8 more sas ports). If your case will take the extra couple inches.

ECC is not the same as buffered/unbuffered. The board in your post supports ECC ram for Xeons.

KempelofDoom

Explorer

KempelofDoom

Explorer
Regular i3 CPU (1150) also support ?

Processor is of less importance to a point. The key here is to use ECC memory and to make sure your drive controller passes all of the smart data from each of the drives. That way you can monitor the health of your server via alerts rather than logging into it daily and checking. That board does look sweet and I wouldn't hesitate to get one. However, before I would buy it, I would do as much research into it and it's problems so I would be confident it could handle FreeNAS. Learn from others mistakes and troubles and you can greatly reduce your amount of potential problems in the future.

Have you read Cyberjocks newbie guide? I recommend it and I reread it every now and then to help me make good hardware purchases and config changes.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/slideshow-explaining-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

falukky

Explorer
I saw that this motherboard have USB port inside and not only in the rear panel.

1. is it OK to connect my USB stick in this port and load the operation system from there ?
2. Any recommendation for bios settings that i need to set ?

KempelofDoom

Explorer
I saw that this motherboard have USB port inside and not only in the rear panel.

1. is it OK to connect my USB stick in this port and load the operation system from there ?
2. Any recommendation for bios settings that i need to set ?

usb inside will work the same as connecting to the other ports. Help to keep it clean. As for BIOS, I'm not confident that my tips will be helpful so best to do some searching as you are not likely the only one to be using that board.

falukky

Explorer
OK today i started to build my system and i have 2 question:

1. Where i need to connect the Power SW ? (i didn't see any power in this panel)

image.png

2. What is the different between 2 LAN ports and is it matter where to plus my cable ?

image.png

KempelofDoom

Explorer
OK today i started to build my system and i have 2 question:

1. Where i need to connect the Power SW ? (i didn't see any power in this panel)

image.png

2. What is the different between 2 LAN ports and is it matter where to plus my cable ?

image.png

Those images aren't loading for me. However, if I go off the newegg image, it's the white header on the edge of the board where you connect the case lights and switches. It should be documented in the manual that comes with it. This isn't your first system build right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
  1. The switch connects to PWRBTN and GND (Power button and Ground). Orientation makes no difference whatsoever, it's a simple on/off switch.
  2. Both LAN ports are pretty much the same thing. Choose one at random.

falukky

Explorer
Something is wrong with my machine.
After connect everything and after start the machine i cannot see anything after connect the machine into my monitor, i try to take off the battery for few minutes and disconnect all hard drive and still i cannot see anything in my monitor.
ATXpower1 and ATX 12V Power connected.
Any suggestions what to do ?

I noticed there was a small light bulb flashes, does anyone know what this means?

http://postimg.org/image/fz0ks3wgr/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.