Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Question about CPU needed for FreeNAS build

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

omerome

I am thinking about building a freeNAS server, but I don't plan on installing Plex or any services on the server itself. I have a HTPC that has Plex server installed. The thought of going ZFS is nice.

I was looking at the following components for a freeNAS server:

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1150
Processor: Intel G3258 3.2 GHz LGA1150 Boxed Processor
Ram: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B
Hard Drives: 3TB Western Digital Red x 4

I read the documentation that freeNAS requires at least 8GB of RAM (16GB or more recommended) and a server motherboard is optimal, but for my specific situation, will I need a processor like the above if I use my HTPC to handle tasks like Plex? I really only want the freeNAS server to store my data. Will my current HTPC's CPU be up to the task of for example streaming movies @ 1080p to 2-3 devices (HTPC/Android phone) or will I need to add a stronger CPU in the freeNAS server? I guess my other question is, will the freeNAS server's CPU really be doing much at all in my case?

For reference of my HTPC:

Case: Silverstone GD05B
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Hard Drive: 2TB Western Digital Green x 1

Thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Not-very-passive-but-aggressive
If you want the server to transcode, you'll need, at the very least, an i3. For several high-quality transcoded streams, a Xeon E3 is recommended.

If you stick to basic file server duties (including streaming non-transcoded video), a G32xx Pentium is enough.

tio

I have pled on my N54L and it serves 2 NowTV boxes with Plex client showing 1080p streams and the cpu barely hits 45%.

Bearing in mind, i don't have RAW rips, they've already been reencoded with Handbrake.

omerome

Cool. Thanks.

If anything, I plan on upgrading my HTPC's CPU to what's in my gaming PC (i5-2400K) so if I can stick with a simpler, less expensive CPU for the freeNAS system, that's great.

And yes, I plan to stick to basic file server duties on the freeNAS server. I will create a virtual machine using my gaming PC and use Linux Mint to take care of tasks like sickbeard/sabnzbd.

tio

If power a constraint? If not then grab an old workstation with a quad xeon where cheap DDR ECC is plentiful of under £10 for a 4GB stick and use it dedicated.

Sickbeard and Sabnzbd can be run in jails.

I wouldn't use non dcc ram, the difference in price compared to the risk of losing your pool is a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.