QNAP dead... FreeNAS is here!

ascl

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I am a software engineer by trade, and have been a "unix guy" for a long time (Linux and OSX mainly, although go back far enough and I spent a lot of time working on IRIX) but was not really exposed to any of the BSD's, aside from the parts that were glued onto mach to make OSX. About 3 months ago, I discovered pfSense, and replaced a DD-WRT enabled router with a pfSense box. I was impressed with the stability and simplicity of the system, and so when my QNAP start misbehaving, I decided to replace it without another BSD based OS.... FreeNAS!

So now I have a 8 drive (Node 804) FreeNAS box based around a E3 3240L CPU and 32GB of RAM. This is my main home server, so it needs to be able to run a few different services (including a linux VM for one thing I can't get to run on BSD). I have most things working now... jails have been a learning experience... and docker has the environment and tooling in a far more mature state, even if the underlying tech has it's issues.

Lastly, the community here seems to have a bunch of knowledgeable people! So Hi Everyone! :)