Qnap 451 Mboard Died - Migrate to freenas

Mcfake

Cadet
Hi i have some Q - My Qnap 451 4bay in raid 5 has died.

The drives have all the data still and im looking for a way of migrating to FreeNas

Im not keen on buying another QNAP to then send my files over . Im very new to FreeNas and i had a quick look though the forums and people have said "post your Q and problem b4 trying anything" :)

So any help would be appreciated.

Im at ground 0 and ive no idea where to start. :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I've got no specific familiarity with the Qnap stuff, but a lot of the "vendor NAS" units tend to use Linux and one of the Linux filesystems, so there is a reasonable chance that the data could be accessed from a Linux system. I don't have time to do the research on that for you right now, but I wanted to give you some encouragement.

You would, however, probably need to build a new FreeNAS system with new disks, and then find some way to attach your old disks to a Linux PC.

jenksdrummer

Patron
QNAP still under warranty? Even if not, the replacement board is likely not that expensive.

That said, Free/TrueNAS uses a different file system(ZFS) where QNAP uses EXT4 on LVM. You'd likely be better off building a linux box and attempting to import the disks to that rather than anything with Free/TrueNAS and put your data at risk.

kherr

Explorer
Having come from 3 Qnaps ..... it'd cheaper to buy a new box IF Qnap would even sell him a new M/B. My suggestion to the OP is go to the Qnap forum and ask their gurus how to mount the old disks.

Mcfake

Cadet
replacement mboard 200 ...

main recommendation buy a new 451 for 400 . mount and be happy.......

3rd recomendation , by from amazon, mount , restore send it back. backup stuff build free nas

kherr

Explorer
It's a WONDER that Qnap would sell you a board, at ANY price. All the threads I've read over there, Q wanted you to send in the unit and have THEM overcharge you for everything. A big reason I built my TN box . Not only is a custom build easier and cheaper to build/maintain/upgrade ... you can actually have ALL your drive bays USABLE. No being FORCED into dedicated 2.5" drive bays on the more advanced/larger boxes ...