FreeNAS noob. OpenVPN, Transmission, NordVPN, Plex, PFSense

jakeyg

Cadet
Hi all,

Im a FreeNAS noob. I was running Rockstor for a number of years but have recently swapped over to FreeNAS after an HDD died and trying to recover/restore was a nightmare. Anyway I have setup a connection to NordVPN through PFSense and tried to route all traffic from FreeNAS through Nord, when my firewall rules are set to my laptop, it works through Nord perfectly, yet when i connect through FreeNAS and open a shell, i cant even ping google.com. (yes likely a PFSense q) However im curious to know do people route their traffic through their router to a VPN or use VPN on their FreeNAS boxes? what are your reasons for doing so?

Cheers
Jake

Kcaj

Contributor
I like to terminate the VPN on a firewall and have a VLAN which uses the VPN as its gateway. Its a easier setup than trying to mess with a VPN client in FreeNAS (though lots of people do it).

IMO the network traffic flow feels more natural especially if other devices also use the VPN as a gateway and devices like PFSense are designed for these type of network applications.

Neither way is “wrong” but I would always choose to configure the VPN at the edge of my network.

Glorious1

Guru
I install OpenVPN and Transmission in the same jail. Nothing in router. I can give you instructions for that if you're interested. There are lots of threads on it, but everyone does it a little differently.

MotafokaBR

Cadet
I install OpenVPN and Transmission in the same jail. Nothing in router. I can give you instructions for that if you're interested. There are lots of threads on it, but everyone does it a little differently.
I'm trying to do that, but so far with no success.

I'm new with FreeNAS and Jails, I had that working on a Linux box before, but I'm struggling now.

Glorious1

Guru
I'm trying to do that, but so far with no success.
If you explain exactly what you're doing and where and how 'no success' is manifested, maybe I can point you in the right direction.

MotafokaBR

Cadet
By no success, I meant that Open VPN always get the tun error, even after I change the flag in the jail settings.

But after that, and as you said everyone does a little differently, I decided to scrap that jail and redo all the Transmission install from scratch, checking every point before even install OpenVPN pkg.

I don't know yet what was different this time, but it seems to be working.

I used a guide from the FreeNAS subreddit to install Transmission forcing the connection only by the VPN and merged with the instructions from NordVPN.

I have Transmission installed and working correctly. But I need help setting up the NordVPN part. Any help would be great!

Glorious1

Guru
I have Transmission installed and working correctly. But I need help setting up the NordVPN part. Any help would be great!
I'm using OpenVPN. Can't help with NordVPN.