qBittorrent will not start

da_da

Explorer
After changing IP of the jail, the qbittorrent will not start... what would be the cause?

so I ran the command below from the jail, and I get the message below:

root@qbittorrent:/usr/local # service qbittorrent start
Cannot 'start' qbittorrent. Set qbittorrent_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.

not sure why changing IP causes the the service not to start.

I say this thread where someone mentioned to run:

iocage exec $JAIL sysrc qbittorrent_enable="YES"

How do I do that from the jail???

OK, so I ran the jexec 8 sysrc qbittorrent_enable="YES"

and it worked, but now I am not able to login... so, I presume this is set back to default???? why???

Last edited:
Login to what? The qBittorrent web interface? Get what back? The torrents? The downloaded files?

Last edited:

da_da

Explorer
yes, yes, yes, and yes.

I can login to the Web interface now but all the 20 torrents that are in the .config direcotory are not showing up on the list. looks like I lost the configuration of the qbt.

that are in the .config direcotory
What ".config" directory? If you're running qbittorrent-nox as a service (daemon), then it is likely looking under here (inside the jail) for its settings, cache, and torrents:

/var/db/qbittorrent/

(There are more subfolders within.)

da_da

Explorer
Question is, All I did was change the IP of the jail, so why nothing is working?

da_da

Explorer
all the old torrents are under /.local/share/qBittorrent/BT_Backup.

Question is, All I did was change the IP of the jail, so why nothing is working?
all the old torrents are under /.local/share/qBittorrent/BT_Backup.

I'm not sure why changing the IP address would do any of that, but from what it looks like, you might have previously been running qbittorrent-nox as the root user, but not as a daemon/service. This is why you have config files and references inside the root user's home directory (i.e, ~/.local/share/).

From the get-go, you should have been running qbittorrent-nox strictly as a daemon service (i.e, via rc.d), in which everything is located under /var/db/qbittorrent/.

da_da

Explorer
I installed it using the default plugin. I have not made any changes when I installed it originally. How do I get back to where I was? is there a documentation on how to recover?

Can someone point me to how I can recover my configs and files?

You're using different directories:
I'm not sure why changing the IP address would do any of that, but from what it looks like, you might have previously been running qbittorrent-nox as the root user, but not as a daemon/service. This is why you have config files and references inside the root user's home directory (i.e, ~/.local/share/).

From the get-go, you should have been running qbittorrent-nox strictly as a daemon service (i.e, via rc.d), in which everything is located under /var/db/qbittorrent/.

Check the contents under /root/.local/share/, and look for a qBittorrent folder. You can try copying this folder to /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/ (and make sure to recursively change its ownership to qbittorrent:qbittorrent)

I'd recommend you first stop the service and rename/delete the currently existing folder under /var/db/, so for example:
service qbittorrent stop
mv -v /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/qBittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/qBittorrent.new

Followed by:
cp -v -a /root/.local/share/qBittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/

Finally:
chown -R qbittorrent:qbittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent
service qbittorrent restart

Your situation might call for different commands and locations.

Last edited:

da_da

Explorer
Everything is set to default. I have not done anything other than change IP.

da_da

Explorer
You're using different directories:

Check the contents under /root/.local/share/, and look for a qBittorrent folder. You can try copying this folder to /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/ (and make sure to recursively change its ownership to qbittorrent:qbittorrent)

I'd recommend you first stop the service and rename/delete the currently existing folder under /var/db/, so for example:
service qbittorrent stop
mv -v /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/qBittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/qBittorrent.new

Followed by:
cp -v -a /root/.local/share/qBittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent/conf/

Finally:
chown -R qbittorrent:qbittorrent /var/db/qbittorrent
service qbittorrent restart

Your situation might call for different commands and locations.
Thanks for this but non this helped... I compared the files and they are all default config. I have the torrent files but none are recognized.

Just OMG, Watta crappy app.

Thanks anyways for trying.