PXE Install TrueNAS

suppaduppax

Dabbler
Just wondering if it's a lost cause trying to install PXE install freenas. I've gotten as far as loading the .iso in memdisk. But once installation begins it fails at mounting cdrom. I'm assuming it's looking for the .iso again after running the installer, which doesn't exist because I'm running it through PXE. Is there a way to get this to work?

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
I do not sure FreeBSD have like ubuntu/debian/fedora "netinstall"
BUT for sure FreeNAS have not
BUT is a solution
put an SSD on the other machine/computer and boot with CD/DVD burned OR with a USB stick bootable with installer on that
after install shutdown and move that SSD/HDD to the server what you want to be yous TrueNAS and boot from

jakew

Cadet
hello
I do not sure FreeBSD have like ubuntu/debian/fedora "netinstall"
BUT for sure FreeNAS have not
BUT is a solution
put an SSD on the other machine/computer and boot with CD/DVD burned OR with a USB stick bootable with installer on that
after install shutdown and move that SSD/HDD to the server what you want to be yous TrueNAS and boot from
I have an issue with this solution - I couldn't get USB to boot, so I took the target drive, put it into another box, installed TrueNAS successfully, took the boot disk out of that machine and put it in the original one. Now booting up fails - gives me things like "truenas root mount waiting for: cam" endlessly and also some things like gptzfsbooterror . This computer does not have UEFI boot, but I did use the BIOS bootloader option when I installed. To make sure the installation went okay, I swapped the drive back into the machine I used for installation and it booted fine. How do I get TrueNAS on this machine? I'm considering seeing if TrueNAS SCALE will install - wondering if Linux might be a bit more cooperative with switching disks between machines. This machine will boot other Linux USB sticks fine (and multiboot too), but with the TrueNAS stick it acts like nothing's there. I tried to put the iso on my multiboot stick as well, but for some reason the multiboot I'm using must not support FreeBSD or TrueNAS or something, because it doesn't show up in the list.