New user to install TrueNAS Core and how to create partitions before installation

Patrick Siu

Cadet
Hi. I'm a new user on TrueNAS Core. I want to run TrueNAS Core on my desktop computer. It has a raid controller card with Primary Hard disk 4TB & Second Hard disk 4TB as mirror for raid 1 operating system. I have a boot up USB disk with Truenas Core ISO image installer. I don't want to install the OS 8GB only on whole hard disk. How can I create partitions on hard disk before installation.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The simple answer is "you do not". TrueNAS expects to boot from a dedicated ZFS pool on dedicated boot devices.

To elaborate a bit on what you propose:
I want to run TrueNAS Core on my desktop computer
As in "the computer you work on"? That's not likely to be a remotely sane solution.
It has a raid controller card
That is completely inadequate for TrueNAS.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Setting aside the points made by @Ericloewe , you could do what you're saying (if you're satisfied and comfortable ending up with an unsupported install that will probably require some manual intervention to maintain over version upgrades and implies comfort with UNIX command line).

If you care about your data, read this first before going ahead with the last one:

Use this last one if you're comfortable to go ahead... substitute your 4TB HDDs for the SSDs given in the example (but know your performance will be much worse in accordance):

Patrick Siu

Cadet
Thank you for the reply, I may need some time to figure it out, much appreciate it.
Setting aside the points made by @Ericloewe , you could do what you're saying (if you're satisfied and comfortable ending up with an unsupported install that will probably require some manual intervention to maintain over version upgrades and implies comfort with UNIX command line).

If you care about your data, read this first before going ahead with the last one:

Use this last one if you're comfortable to go ahead... substitute your 4TB HDDs for the SSDs given in the example (but know your performance will be much worse in accordance):