PSU of my used bought System has NO 5V output. Advice needed

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
So I‘m building a NAS out of used bought system. And the PSU doesn’t has a 5V output. The mainboard has 5V out but only 2 lanes.
I can’t find the max 5V amps from the mainboard anywere.

Before my unraid card arrives I want to hook up 2 SSDs and 4 HDDs. I think that is still ok. But I want to use more drives.

What would be the best way to get 5V?
A new PSU is out because the Mainboard needs very non standard PSU pluggs I think.

Should I get a 12V to 5V converter? I’m very experienced with soldering.

Thy system I bought included:

mainboard: S26361-D3128-A1
CPU: Xenon E5-1607 (will exchange)
PSU: S26113-e567-v50-02 500W 80+Gold
2x 4gb M391B5273DH0-YK0 ecc udimm (will exchange)

I will put in:
Ram: 4x 8gb M393B1K70CH0-YH9 ecc rdim
Intel Xeon E5-2630

thanks for the Help.

IMG_20211022_191127.jpg
IMG_20211022_191104.jpg PSU only 12V
IMG_20211022_191059.jpg mainboard power output to the drives

Evertb1

Guru
I would never ever pull power for more drives over that motherboard then it is designed for. And modifying a PSU would not be my choice either. Yours would not be the first system destroyed by a failing power supply. In my opinion you have only one save way out. Replace the motherboard and the PSU with more usual hardware.

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
In my opinion you have only one save way out. Replace the motherboard and the PSU with more usual hardware.
a save way indeed. But sadly not a cheap way since I can't find a 2nd hand board right now. So I'm hoping to avoid that if I can.

Evertb1

Guru
So I'm hoping to avoid that if I can.
You can avoid it if you think it's worth the risk. Stepdown circuits from 12v to 5v are not hard to get. Amazon has them. And with a little bit of effort you can find schematics on the web to build them yourself. You just need to decide how much amps your itented drives need and which of the 12v lines you are going to split to feed those step down circuits. But a steady, reliable power supply is essential for a reliable computer. Being it a server or a workstation. I still think it's not advisable but it can be done.

Irgendjemand5

Dabbler
You can avoid it if you think it's worth the risk. Stepdown circuits from 12v to 5v are not hard to get.
Yea that was my first idea also. But looking at it now it's kind of flimsy...

I think I will buy a Meanwell 5V 10A PSU.
There is another 12V output from my PSU that isn't used so I will not have to splice things.

but maybe I will try to use my normal PC PSU and recrimp the plugs. The new board seems to only use 12V.
well I will sleep over it.

thanks for the input!

So I‘m building a NAS out of used bought system.
Your first mistake, which will likely cost you more in the end than purchasing new.

Good luck!

Evertb1

Guru
Your first mistake, which will likely cost you more in the end than purchasing new.
It will sound a bit harsh for the OP but you are right. OP has bought hardware that is far from the regular offerings in the market. Keeping what he has and giving sound advise besides "try again" is almost impossible.

@Irgendjemand5. You must realize that investing in what you have now can result in throwing good money after bad money. I can't know what is in your budget but please consider carefully what you are going to do. Look at the specs of my lab server. That is good hardware. Older yes, but it works fine. The CPU, motherboard and memory cost me less then 400 euro three months ago. And it is all mainstream A brand hardware.