PSU for jbod cse-847

jdabb

Dabbler
I am in the process of buying a used cse-847 that has been modified to use a 550 watt psu. It doesn't come with the original redundant psu's but comes with three noctua fans and all drive caddies for 350. Is this PSu enough for running 24 drives? i will also need to buy a sas expander i believe and lsi hba card for my main server. the jbod chassis does come with break out cables.

Any one know if this is a good deal?

Nick2253

Wizard
550W is pretty small for 24 drives. Even if you can do staggered spinnup, that's a lot of load. And presumably, it's been modified to use an ATX powersupply, which makes me skeptical that it will be a PSU of decent quality.

jdabb

Dabbler
yea its this one

PC Power & Cooling ModXStream Pro Series 600 Watt 80+ Semi-Modular Active PFC Performance Grade ATX PC Power Supply (OCZ600MXSP)

so 600 not much better. should i stay away from this and hope i can find a another 24 bay chasis

Scharbag

Guru
I would avoid that case. I had one and without the loud high RPM fans, I doubt you will get enough airflow to properly cool 24 drives.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
yea its this one

PC Power & Cooling ModXStream Pro Series 600 Watt 80+ Semi-Modular Active PFC Performance Grade ATX PC Power Supply (OCZ600MXSP)

so 600 not much better. should i stay away from this and hope i can find a another 24 bay chasis
Overall that looks like a case that has been messed with a lot. I would personally stay away from it.