Proposed first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbhammack

Cadet
I'm getting tired of crappy performance just using JBOD, and am researching a proper NAS build. I want to end up with about 20Tib usable space, Somewhere around $1500 Dollars or so, with room to expand / upgrade.
I would also Like to run a media server such as Plex, and possibly a torrent client like rtorrent.
Components: (first pass)
MB: Supermicro ATX DDR4 LGA 2011 Motherboards X10SRL-F
Processor: Xeon processor E5-2620v3
Case: Silverstone Technology CS380B
Memory: Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4-2133 MT/S (PC4-2133) CL15 dual ranked x4based ECC Registered Server Memory CT2K16G4RFD4213 (I'll expand later
PS: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Drives: 8 TB WD red or 8TB Seagate NAS drives
Boot Device: I have some spare 64 and 120G ssd's, but I was thinking of a SATADOM since the MB supports 2 of them.

Any thoughts? Things I left out?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Overall your choices look good, but I would go with a proven Seasonic model over a new design EVGA.

Dice

Wizard
Typically there are no occasions where the 2620 is preferred over the E5-1620.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Typically there are no occasions where the 2620 is preferred over the E5-1620.
It is if you need LRDIMMs or need two slots for the extra RAM.

Dice

Wizard
It is if you need LRDIMMs or need two slots for the extra RAM.
What? Do you imply that only 6 slots are available for RDIMM while 8 slots are usable if filled with LRDIMM?
Please clarify.

robbhammack

Cadet
I chose the 2626 over the 1620 for the extra cores and cache even though the clock speed is a little slower. My thinking was that this is primarily a NAS box but I also wanted to move over as much of my home server stuff like Plex, my rtorrent, and possibly a Owncloud install as possible without messing with the primary purpose, I.E. NAS performance and Data Integrity, so I'd go with a processor that can run more threads so Plex transcoding and such wouldn't impact the NAS to any significant degree.
Is this Overkill? would the 1620 be a better choice? I don't have any personal experience yet with server-grade processors like Xeon or freeNAS yet, that's why I'm asking here for a sanity check and recommendations based on real-life experience :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What? Do you imply that only 6 slots are available for RDIMM while 8 slots are usable if filled with LRDIMM?
Please clarify.
No, Xeon E5 16xx only support RDIMMs, not LRDIMMs. Additionally, it's a single-socket CPU, since it has no QPI bus.

Xeon E5 2xxx models support two CPU sockets and LRDIMMs.

robbhammack

Cadet
To give a little more detail on my current situation and use case, I have a Sabretooth FX99 MB with a AMD FX processor and 32G of ram currently, with about 20 TB of hard disks, a mix of WD Red 4T and a 8T seagate NAS drive. these are stuffed in a Mediasonic 4 disk external enclosure connected via eSATA. Last year, I got into torrenting and building up an extensive media library, served via Plex. I have 3 other computers in the house, plus some tablets and phones, mostly used for gaming, web browsing, and playing media. I'm currently seeding 1500 or so torrents, with very little usage (it's a private archive tracker, not much downloading going on) and so far, I've just been adding a new disk to my LVM when I get to about 2T free space, but the performance is terrible, esp. over the esata link, And I'll run out of space soon. Hence, I decided to bite the bullet and buy or build an Actual NAS, and ended up here as freeNAS seems to be my best bet. The other household members are not all that computer-savvy, so my thinking is that if I can make a proper NAS and home server, it shouldn't be too hard to train them and set up backups to the NAS, etc. My computer runs Kubuntu Linux 16.04, the others run windows 10 or android tablets - no Apple junk allowed, lol.

robbhammack

Cadet
No, Xeon E5 16xx only support RDIMMs, not LRDIMMs. Additionally, it's a single-socket CPU, since it has no QPI bus.

That's another +, I have an available upgrade path of a 2-processor MB and just buying another 2620. hopefully I'll never need it, but I've always liked to overspec and future-proof ;)

Dice

Wizard

Yes. So far I agree.
However, I fail to see why the 1620 would support two slots of RAM less than a 26xx on the mentioned X10SRL-F. That is, 6 slots, leaving 2 unused until matched with a 26XX?
I believe the 1620 will have the capacity to use all 8 slots on that board?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
However, I fail to see why the 1620 would support two slots of RAM less than a 26xx on the mentioned X10SRL-F. That is, 6 slots, leaving 2 unused until matched with a 26XX?
It doesn't, I was talking about CPU sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.