Problems with the installation of coturn (STUN/TURN-SERVER)

hartmut

Cadet
Hi there,

I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 with the nextcloud plugin
Version: 21.0.1, Plugin: nextcloud, Release: 12.1-RELEASE-p13
To get the App Talk running for several users I have to install coturn as TURN Server,
but there are problems with the installation of coturn.
Within the jails shell of nextcloud I run the following command:
# pkg install coturn
with the result "No packages available ..."
I downloaded coturn from https://freebsd.pkgs.org/12/freebsd-amd64/coturn-4.5.2_2.txz.html,
but there is no documentation within the archive *.txz like INSTALL, README or some
DOC folder.
So, how to go on and get the coturn server installed?
Thanks for your help!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Your jail runs an EOL FreeBSD release, that's why no packages exist in the official repositories, anymore. You need to upgrade your jail to FreeBSD 13.2 and a choice of two alternative packages will be available:

cdog89

Explorer
Thanks so much Patrick for your response. I spent several hours yesterday looking for coTurn. I will check out what you listed. Have a great day!

cdog89

Explorer
Your jail runs an EOL FreeBSD release, that's why no packages exist in the official repositories, anymore. You need to upgrade your jail to FreeBSD 13.2 and a choice of two alternative packages will be available:

I performed the following to success:
- Updated ports with 'sudo portsnap fetch update', then extracted it.
- Pkg update with 'sudo pkg update'

Unsuccessful:
I installed the port using the Makefile in /usr/ports/net/eturnal and received this blue screen (BSOD,lol?). I'm not sure this is normal. The shell was unresponsive afterwards.

I opened another shell within the jail and ran 'pkg install eturnal' and received the response: 'pkg: No packages available to install matching 'eturnal' have been found in the repositories.

Thanks again Patrick!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 080057.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 080057.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 24

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You must upgrade your jail to a supported FreeBSD release, first, before you can even consider using packages or ports.

The only supported release running on TN CORE today is 13.2. Upgrades of jails are performed with iocage upgrade on the NAS host system. You also must run TN CORE 13.0 to use 13.2 jails. TN CORE 12 is also EOL and has been for quite some time.

Upgrading an existing jail might well break already installed applications, so better take snapshots or deploy a completely new jail right away.

cdog89

Explorer
You must upgrade your jail to a supported FreeBSD release, first, before you can even consider using packages or ports.

The only supported release running on TN CORE today is 13.2. Upgrades of jails are performed with iocage upgrade on the NAS host system. You also must run TN CORE 13.0 to use 13.2 jails. TN CORE 12 is also EOL and has been for quite some time.

Upgrading an existing jail might well break already installed applications, so better take snapshots or deploy a completely new jail right away.
Thanks Patrick. I'm running TN Core 13.0-STABLE, jail version of my Nextcloud is 13.2-RELEASE. Based on what you've said, I should be able to install supported packages? If so, eturnal isn't showing up as available. Is there a package list summary somewhere I can reference?

Thank you again!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please post the output of these commands inside your jail:
Code:
freebsd-version
cat /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
pkg update
pkg search turn

cdog89

Explorer
Please post the output of these commands inside your jail:
Code:
freebsd-version
Code:
13.2-RELEASE

cat /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
# $FreeBSD$ # # To disable this repository, instead of modifying or removing this file, # create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file: # # mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos # echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }" > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf # FreeBSD: { url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly", mirror_type: "srv", signature_type: "fingerprints", fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg", enabled: yes }
pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue... FreeBSD repository is up to date. All repositories are up to date.
pkg search turn

code_saturne-8.1.0_2 EDF's general purpose Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software
libretro-mednafen_saturn-0.20230528 Standalone port of Mednafen Saturn to libretro
openturns-1.21_4 Uncertainty treatment library
p5-Class-ReturnValue-0.55_1 Return-value object that can be treated as a boolean, array, or object
p5-Contextual-Return-0.004014 Create context-sensitive return values
p5-Return-MultiLevel-0.05 Return across multiple call levels
p5-Return-Type-0.007 Specify a return type for a function (optionallywith coercion)
p5-Return-Value-1.666005 Polymorphic return values for Perl
rubygem-turn-0.9.7_1 New output format for Test::Unit
turnserver-4.6.2 STUN/TURN Server; IPv6, DTLS support; RFCs 5389,5766, 6062, 6156

---------------------------------------

Ok, I'm guessing turnserver-4.6.2 might be what I'm looking for? BTW, Patrick, what ssh server do you recommend I install to my jails? I've looked and can't find open-ssh.

Thank you kind sir. :smile:

Edit: Sorry about the format. I need to learn how to respond to line-by-lines. It looks like my responses are all merged into yours.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SSH is builtin and it is OpenSSH.
Code:
sysrc sshd_enable=YES
service sshd start

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Edit: Sorry about the format. I need to learn how to respond to line-by-lines. It looks like my responses are all merged into yours.
In the top right of the formatting tool bar click on this symbol: [ ]. You can review and clean up the tags after that.

cdog89

Explorer
In the top right of the formatting tool bar click on this symbol: [ ]. You can review and clean up the tags after that.
I appreciate your helping novices like myself. It's work, I know, and I appreciate you. Have a great day.

danb35

Hall of Famer
what ssh server do you recommend I install to my jails?
Although you can, you don't need to run a ssh server in the jail; you can just ssh into the host and then iocage console into the jail. I've never seen a need to run a ssh server in any of my jails, but of course YMMV.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Although you can, you don't need to run a ssh server in the jail; you can just ssh into the host and then iocage console into the jail. I've never seen a need to run a ssh server in any of my jails, but of course YMMV.
I on the other hand activate SSH plus ahavi in each jail. So I can ssh jailname.local right from my Mac and have a root shell in the jail.

Whatever suits you.