Problems with creating/accessing user home directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950
All Mac clients El Capitan 10.11.2

I created a sub-dataset(Home) of the volume main dataset (Q30) to contain user home directories

eZp77Ra.png

I then created 4 users

fdXbGHU.png

all 4 home directories were automatically created in /mnt/Q30/Home

AuryPux.png

They seem to contain all the right files

J4dXsvO.png

sYI8aNO.png

But, only two user datasets show in Storage
tYGAAsI.png

Home Directories show when connecting to the NAS - even the ones that don't show in GUI>Storage

oggbkkQ.png

But, I am unable to mount any of the user's home directories . Although. users can login into mount any other share

2WcbE1q.png

Do I need to create a Share for each home directory in order to get this to work?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I do believe you need to create a share for each as you suspected.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You have a combination of directories and datasets for your user home directories. Fix that and decide if you want directories or if you want each user to have its own dataset.

How do you have your shares configured?

VictorR

Contributor
You have a combination of directories and datasets for your user home directories. Fix that and decide if you want directories or if you want each user to have its own dataset.

Sorry, I created datasets and shares because the error message signing into the automatically created directories says:

t3cEeqk.png

Just to make sure, I deleted those datasets and users, then recreated the users the standard way again.

fPPGZTR.png

kvBFJRJ.png

OTM9Wxx.png

Home directories are properly created with profile files

iM4pZpx.png

Each user's home directory is only visible to them at login - as it should be
But, still unable to access it

How do you have your shares configured?

It does work if I use shares. But then, home directories are viewable to all. And that's kind of kludge, it would be nice if the homes worked as they should
Is there anything that you can that is causing this problem?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
what protocol are you using? I use smb and the 'home dir' share setting all the time. You just have to make sure you have directories that are named the same as the username.

VictorR

Contributor
what protocol are you using?

AFP. I have tried the underlying "Home" dataset as both the stock UNIX and AFP, doesn't seem to make a difference

I use smb and the 'home dir' share setting all the time

That's part of my confusion about this - does the home directory need a Share?
The error popup at login/mount of a users share seems to say so.

t3cEeqk.png

But, the "Add User" function certainly doesn't create one when creating the user and home directory. And the 9.3 User Guide section for User creation doesn't mention the need to use a share for the home directory

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When creating a user this creates a folder in the dataset you configured to be the home dataset with the same name as the user you are creating. This only allows the user to have local access to that folder. For example when they ssh to freenas they will have that be their home directory. If you want to create a share for each user to also access there home dir remotely then you will have to share that out either using afp or cifs.

VictorR

Contributor
Thank you!! I did that and second=guessed myself because the home directories were visible to others. And I think older versions of FreeNAS gave the option of making them not visible to others.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thank you!! I did that and second=guessed myself because the home directories were visible to others. And I think older versions of FreeNAS gave the option of making them not visible to others.
older version where the same. Not sure what you are doing different. Maybe play around with them more until you understand how they work?

VictorR

Contributor
Yeah, I probably got a little ahead of myself with the permissions
Nonetheless, the User Guide definitely could a simple line or two about the need to create a dataset and share

But, I guess this is also a pretty decent way to force people to think about what each variable does. Mucking around does help learn

Status
Not open for further replies.