Problematic ACL

robbbaxley

Cadet
Hello,

I am a router/switch guy so TrueNAS is new to me. I would like to request some assistance in removing a problematic ACL (please see attached screenshot) from
TrueNAS-12.0-U6 (Core). I had basic SAMBA shares working fine until I attempted to apply ACLs to individual accounts. I am not 100% certain what I did wrong but I completely borked things up and now no one can access a shared folder. I was able to successfully remove all ACLs with the exception of the one on the root "NAS" folder. I am hopeful that removing this ACL will allow me to start fresh.

Attached is a screenshot of the directory tree. Any pointers is most appreciated...thanks!

Upload.png

ragametal

Contributor
I think i know what is producing the problem but i could not find a way to resolve it.

When you create a dataset you are given the opportunity to choose which “share type” to use for it. The options are “Generic” and “SMB”. My understanding is that If you choose “SMB” the system will automatically assign SMB ACLs to the share and will permanently put that flag next to the name. If you choose “generic” the ACL flag will go away as soon as you delete all the Filesystem ACLs just like what you were doing.
Share Type.jpg

Now, how do you change the “Share type” on an existing dataset from SMB to Generic? or how do you delete the SMB ACLS of an existing share? Those are the the things that i just don't know how to do. aybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and expand on this?

robbbaxley

Cadet
Thank you ragametal, I appreciate that and also hope that there is a way to fix this. I took a few more screenshots to show what I am seeing when I try to mount the share in case that provides any additional insight:

The full path of a user share looks like: \\<IP Address>\mnt\NAS\<username>

1. I can mount "\\<IP Address>\mnt" but that doesn't show the NAS or any user folders
1.png

2.png

2. When I attempt to mount "\\<IP Address>\mnt\NAS\" I see this error message:
3.png

3. And finally, when I attempt to mount the full path "\\<IP Address>\mnt\NAS\<username>" I see this error message:
4.png

I get the feeling you haven't set up an SMB share yet... UI > Sharing > Windows Shares (SMB). You've created the dataset, but haven't mapped it to a share.

The full path of a user share looks like: \\<IP Address>\mnt\NAS\<username>

Why are you using \mnt\NAS\ in the share location when accessing it from Windows?

It should look something like:

\\ip.add.re.ss\sharename\username

The sharename is the name you assign the share under Sharing > SMB

You may not even need to append username at the end of the location, as I believe if it's a "Home Share" it will generate/use the directory based on the username trying to access the share.

If you look at the Share's options, you might see %U as the suffix.

Last edited:

ragametal

Contributor
I have two observations for you:
  1. Just as @Basil Hendroff and @winnielinnie mentioned, your path doesn’t look right. You need to create a SMB share that points to the main pool /mnt/NAS. Assuming you assign the name “BOX” to this share then your share address should be something like \\<IP-Address>\BOX\ . Try that and see if that resolved one of your problems.
  2. On your first post you mentioned that you removed all the ACLs with the exception of the root “NAS” folder. You need to assign the proper permissions for this folder (which i believe is your pool as it is directly under /mnt) and the other subfolders (which must be datasets as they are under the /mnt/NAS) in order to properly access them via an SMB share. Without this you may not be able to connect, see or do anything inside the share. Give that a try.

robbbaxley

Cadet
Thank you everyone! I apologize for not replying sooner, I had some issues with a firewall that took over my time for the past few days. Everyone was correct...I had, at some point while trying to diagnose/fix the ACL issue, renamed the share name to 'mnt' which I didn't catch.

I really do appreciate your help and additional eyes to help me 'see' what I couldn't :)