Problem with updating single jail after TrueNAS 13 migration

the_jest

Explorer
I recently upgraded my TrueNAS installation from the Core 12 to the Core 13 series. I had about eight jails, two of which were packages, with the others being base jails; none were clones. In general, my procedure was to use the jails UI to update each jail, while still in Core 12; then after I installed Core 13, I ran iocage upgrade -r 13.1 {jail} from the TrueNAS commandline; when this finished, I ran pkg update && pkg upgrade from the jail itself.

This worked fine in almost every case, but one of my jails is stuck in some problematic intermediate stage, and I don't know how to fix it. I also didn't take precise notes on what steps I took, because I was generally doing the same thing.

For this jail, in which I'm only running jackett, the UI shows the release as being "12.2-RELEASE-p15". When I try to use iocage upgrade from TrueNAS, I get the error "13.1 is missing, please fetch it!", which did not happen with any of the other jails. However, in the jail itself, running uname -a shows FreeBSD jackett 13.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p2 n245412-484f039b1d0 TRUENAS amd64. Running pkg update && pkg upgrade from the jail itself shows that everything is up to date. Meanwhile, jackett is running, though there seem to be mismatches with several pieces of software, and it effectively doesn't work.

What do I need to do to properly upgrade this to 13.1? I'd be willing to nuke the existing jail and reinstall a fresh one, as long as I can keep all of the (complicated) settings.

A faster and less headache-y approach would be:
  1. backup your jackett config
  2. destroy old jail
  3. rebuild jacket in new 13.1 jail and import config.