Problem upgrading packages in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
I have a problem that is somewhat annoying: I have a jail that I use to run cloud backup tasks. It works fine, however, I can't seem to upgrade any packages in it.

When I run pkg update and then pkg upgrade all seems to work fine: I get a report of which changes are to be made, but once I try to actually proceed it stops on a 404, in my case for downloading
http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/All/subversion-1.9.7_1.txz . When I browse the directory in question this version indeed does not exist, however, subversion-1.9.7_2.txz does.

Also, earlier on I was forced to update FreeNAS as a package that I tried to install in the jail required a newer kernel version than the one I had. I planned on updating anyway, so in the end I managed to install it, but I did find this a bit odd. To me it seems like FreeNAS is a bit behind on FreeBSD for its packages or something. Did I perhaps miss something when configuring my jail?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks like your jail was built on FreeBSD 11 which is EOL. You'll have to either rebuild the jail using iocage and the 11.1 template or upgrade it if it's an existing iocage jail.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Looks like your jail was built on FreeBSD 11 which is EOL. You'll have to either rebuild the jail using iocage and the 11.1 template or upgrade it if it's an existing iocage jail.

That's odd, I have never run anything else than FreeNAS 11.1 and I created the jail a little over two weeks ago. I just used the GUI to add a jail and chose to make a FreeBSD one. When I look at the list of templates it's empty. What's also odd is that when I look at on the configuration tab there is a collection URL http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/jails which in turn gives a 404.

Now if I understand you correctly, iocage is the only way to get an up-to-date jail. However, from what I can find, the GUI won't support it until FreeNAS 11.2 which is scheduled to come out at the end of this month. Does that basically mean that I just have to wait until the end of the month, delete my jails, update FreeNAS and recreate my jails using the new GUI again?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Now if I understand you correctly, iocage is the only way to get an up-to-date jail.
Correct.
Does that basically mean that I just have to wait until the end of the month, delete my jails, update FreeNAS and recreate my jails using the new GUI again?
You can create new jails via the new GUI or via the CLI. There's several examples here on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.