Problem setting up volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

JournaL

Cadet
Hello,

I am very new to this, I just built and installed my freenas system today but I am having an issue with creating a volume (both thru the wizard or manually by clicking on the volume tab). I have three 6TB drives (new and ready to go). The Bios and Freenas detects it as ada0, ada1, ada2. Freenas is installed onto a flash drive I think adop2.

After I boot, I try to go in and create a volume, freenas sees all three drives and I name it and set it to ZFS1 and when I click Create Volume it gives me this error: Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada0" .

Then I check the drives again, and this time ada0 disappears, and only ada1 and ada2 are visible. I reboot the system and all three drives are visible again, but when I try to create a volume again, the same error.

I verified my installation and I am not sure whats going on. I tried looking this issue up but I am not sure what to do. Can you please help me?

JournaL

Cadet
I also tried rebooting and wiping the ada0 disk but I get this error

Error: Failed to wipe ada0: dd: /dev/ada0: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.626794 secs (0 bytes/sec)

My freenas says

CAM Status Uncorrectable Parity Error/CRC error on the ada0 drive.

So is the drive bad?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Please list your hardware specs like the forum rules state.

JournaL

Cadet
Please see my signature for hardware information

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Error: Failed to wipe ada0: dd: /dev/ada0: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.626794 secs (0 bytes/sec)

My freenas says

CAM Status Uncorrectable Parity Error/CRC error on the ada0 drive.

So is the drive bad?

Let's say it isn't a promising sign. Pull up the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and see what it says.

If the disk is bad, and it is still within its return window, return it for a refund, not a replacement. Then buy a separate replacement. This sometimes avoids a scenario where a vendor might send you a refurb drive.

JournaL

Cadet
Turns out linkdepot Sata cables are crap. Real Crap. No errors now after switching out both of the link depot cables I tried to test with one from a older SATA2 Mobo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.