problem set up email notification

giggles

Cadet
Hi All,
Got truenas 12.0-U8.1 on my Proliant 310e Gen8 v2, CPU: i7-4790, 32Gb RAM DDR3.
read every post i could find on the topic and nothing worked.
i cant set an Email notification to my Gmail, or ping google.com.
please help, a disk failed and i didn't know(fixed the problem).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You'll have to fix your networking so that you can ping the Internet from the NAS. E-mail won't work without that. Make sure you have DNS configured and a default route.

artlessknave

Wizard
Make sure you have DNS configured and a default route.
more detail: truenas will pull an IP but unlike most DHCP clients, it will not pull the default gateway.
you need to configure that under network, as well as DNS servers. usually this is your router.
without this the internet will not exist to truenas.

giggles

Cadet
both are set correctly, yet i still get Error: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: [Errno 61] Connection refused

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's generally a sign that whatever you've configured for outbound e-mail is rejecting connections. Can you actually reach that system from the NAS?

danb35

Hall of Famer
unlike most DHCP clients, it will not pull the default gateway.
you need to configure that under network, as well as DNS servers
Of course it will configure the gateway, and the DNS servers, via DHCP--if you're using DHCP for your server. Generally, you shouldn't be.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Of course it will configure the gateway, and the DNS servers, via DHCP--if you're using DHCP for your server. Generally, you shouldn't be.

Just a gentle correction here. This statement is generally true in many common scenarios, but if you specify a gateway or routes in the GUI, TrueNAS will suppress requesting these things in the dhclient.conf file, and I believe it does the same for DNS servers as well.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That makes sense, actually. But as a general statement, "TrueNAS will not pull the default gateway or DNS via DHCP" is still incorrect.