Problem running Ubuntu Server 20.04 VM on FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2

DAndrey

Cadet
Wanted to run an Ubuntu Server 20.04 VM on my newly build FreeNAS box but I had nothing but problems with this setup. The VM would be running fine for about 3 days when suddenly the GUI would show that it has turned off. Manually turning it back on fixed it but the issue persisted. Ubuntu didn't log any error messages an after a while the VM refused to even start anymore and give out a CallError:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1014, in start await self._manager.start(vm)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 53, in start list(done)[0].result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 350, in run raise CallError(f'VM {self.vm["name"]} failed to start: {output}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM UbuntuServerVM failed to start: vm exit[0] reason VMX rip 0x000000000000fff0 inst_length 3 status 0
exit_reason 3 (INIT signal) qualification 0x0000000000000000 inst_type 0 inst_error 0 fbuf frame buffer base: 0x882e00000 [sz 16777216]

Error.PNG

Tried Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 still nothing, the one fix I found is to reboot FreeNAS but the fix is only temporary.

System specs:

CPU - Intel i3 6100, it has Virtualization Technology enabled in bios

RAM - Kingston 16GB

Mobo - ASUS P10s-M-DC

The VM drive and the NIC device are set to VrtIO, with 2 virtual CPUs and 2 GiB of RAM allocated to the VM. Reading through the forums some users reported that this was an issue when VrtIO was not enabled but this is not the case here. Also, tried setting the VM time from "Local" to "UTC" but it did nothing. This is a new install, so I never tried older release combinations of FreeNAS or Ubuntu so maybe something got broken in a new release?
Any thoughts?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is this a "server" VM? If you can run it without a VGA console try to configure a serial one and then remove the VNC device completely. I run more than a handful f Ubuntu VMs in production that way and they are perfectly stable.
I honestly don't see the appeal of running a desktop environment in VMs on FreeNAS instead of e.g. in Virtualbox on my desktop system.

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. Why do I think that (removing VNC) might solve your problem? The crash report complains about something frame buffer related. No VNC --> no framebuffer --> one possible source of problems less.

Last edited:

DAndrey

Cadet
The funny part is that I have configured the serial console on the VM right after installation but left the VNC device, suppose I can delete it now.
Removing the VNC device didn't solve the problem, but now the frame buffer error part is gone! The VM still won't start and I suppose that FreeNAS doesn't need a system reboot to apply these VM changes.

Error2.PNG

P.s. thanks for your time trying to solve this!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Try changing the core count to 1. But I am really just guessing here. If poking around doesn't resolve the problem, I'd open an issue in JIRA. This is supposed to work.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Do you have VT-d enabled in the BIOS?

DAndrey

Cadet
@patric tryed 1 and 3 cores but nothing... Getting out of ideas here.

@Samuel thanks for your time, I checked and Virtualization Technology & VT-d are enabled in the BIOS.