Trying to add VM of Ubuntu

Dayve

Dabbler
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have tried a few times to add a VM for Ubuntu 18.04. I keep getting these errors when trying to start the VM for the first time.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 165, in call_method
result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call_method
return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1132, in start
await self._manager.start(vm)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 61, in start
list(done)[0].result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 316, in run
raise CallError(f'VM {self.vm["name"]} failed to start: {output}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM Ubuntu failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured

ezra

Contributor
Hmm try to create a zvol to use before hand, then select it in the VM creation (make sure to remove the old one first). Or did you do that already?
Remember I had such an error a few weeks back.

VM Ubuntu failed to start: vm_create: Device not configured
refers to one of the VM devices not properly being setup, either Disk, NIC etc.

KrisBee

Wizard
@Dayve Which version of FreeNAS are you using? Ubuntu 18.04 will not run in FN11.1

Secondly, as did not list your hardware, have you checked you if it fully supports VMs? From the FreeNAS guide:

FreeNAS® VMs use the bhyve(8) virtual machine software. This type of virtualization requires an Intel processor with Extended Page Tables (EPT) or an AMD processor with Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI) or Nested Page Tables (NPT).

To verify that an Intel processor has the required features, use Shell to run grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot. If the EPT and UG features are shown, this processor can be used with bhyve.

To verify that an AMD processor has the required features, use Shell to run grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot. If the output shows the POPCNT feature, this processor can be used with bhyve.

Dayve

Dabbler
@KrisBee

I just upgraded to 11.2-U2 and my processor is a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 4 Core.

I just ran grep POPCNT /var/run/dmesg.boot and got this back:

Features2=0x7ed8320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>

Would I need to enable UEFI in my bios or should I be good?

ezra

Contributor
Hang on, my bios settings got reset after a power outtage. IMMO / vt-d was disabled in the bios. Also check that.