Problem getting SMB credentials to work in NextCloud 17 configuration from Scripted jail install on 11.2-U6

notspam

Dabbler
Background:
I had a system with 11.2-U3 NextCloud (v14) install with @danb35 scripted jail install (earlier version) working just fine until a couple of weeks ago when the cert expired.
It was set up with Samba shares where my client Windows 10 could access SMB shares as well as a remote access to the same SMB shares through NextCloud. I had this all set up nicely in the previously mentioned jail until I did the following:
  • Upgraded to 11.2-U6. This caused a Samba change which I have fixed through chown of the mounts so that my client boxes have access again.
  • Created a new jail and used @danb35 script again to get the latest and greatest NextCloud (v17) with the SSL cert. I got that to work and set up with the cert and externally accessible.
  • Added the smbclient to the jail to enable NextCloud to configure external storage from SMB/CIFS shares. It allows for the configuration selection of SMB/CIFS shares.
Problem:
However, am unable to find the right combinations or variants of settings (host, share, username, password) to get the SMB share to do anything but display a red circle with exclamation mark in it. I have no idea how to get it to tell me what is wrong too.

After adding a very general /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf and running smbclient -L {FreeNAS server IP} I get the list of SMB shares. I have to enter the root password but it shows.
I have tried creating test datasets wiht unix share or Windows share variety and neither work. If you have a similar setup using the above mentioned versions that has the working state I am looking to get back to, please share how you got there. Or if you have insight to help me get there I would appreciate it.