Resilio Sync on 11.2 RC2 - add permissions to write to share outside jail

awesomer

Dabbler
I don't seem to ever get how permissions on FreeNAS works. Upgraded to 11.2 RC2 from 11.1 U6 now. Hoping anyone here can give me the missing piece for me to understand it, and help me check what permission/step needs to be checked.
I want to set up Resilio Sync from scratch. I have two mirrored pools, one with backup stuff, one with media. (/mnt/tank2/backup and /mnt/tank/media).
Both these locations are set up with SMB shares.
I have two users and groups, media and backup, and i THINK they have access to the data, but I'm just not sure how.
I do have a user "gamer" that I added to the group backup and media, and that lets me access those shares on my Windows computer.

What I did: Install Resilio Sync, stopped it
Added mount point /mnt/tank2/backup to /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/btsync/root/mnt/backup - this allowed me to browse the files on the share, but I was not able to add it as sync folder, permission denied.
Added a new user rslsync, I found that user inside the /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/btsync/etc/passwd file.
User got: User ID 817, Primary Group: backup. Auxiliary Groups: "backup, share", Home directory: /nonexistent.
On the ckeckboxes in the UI for Read - Write - Execute I am not able to add "Write" to "Group", but I guess that is access for the Home Directory?
Restarted Resilio Sync
Still not able to add a sync folder inside /mnt/backup. "No write access to folder".

garm

Wizard
Groups and users are identified with a number and there is a list of names associated with each number. You use users for running things (shells, services) and groups give them access to stuff.

So for a service in a jail to have access to a folder in a FreeNAS host you need to do the following. (1) create dataset DataSet in FreeNAS (2) set owner user Steve (1001) and group Share (2001) (3) set full permissions for group and user, give read to “everyone” (4) use nullfs to link the dataset to a mountpoint in the jail (5) create a group in the jail named Share with the uid 2001 (6) and make the user running the service a member of Shared. Now your service have full access to the dataset DataSet, your account Steve also has full access from FreeNAS side and every other user and service elsewhere can read the content.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
I'm running the latest version of FreeNAS.
I can not seem to get "write" permission working for me.
I installed via the plugin.
What do I need to change in the setting to get it working?

Skeletor

Cadet
I was looking for an answer to this question @garm is correct with his answer but for anyone just starting out step 5 and 6 might be above their heads at first do what he says through step 4 through the UI then you need to go into the Shell for friends and do the following

The code assumes your shared group you've made is called Shared and its group ID is 1234 and that the uid rslsync is running as is 817

iocage console rslsync pw addgroup -g 1234 -n Shared pw groupmod Shared -M 817

after that you should be good.