Problem getting list of AD users in the GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
oslevel: FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003

I've joined the FreeNAS box to the AD domain. From the FreeNAS box I can run "wbinfo -u" and get a complete list of all AD users, but from the GUI when trying to set the user under Volumes --> Volume --> Change Permissions, I get a truncated list of users, say from A to Cish, and thats it. Same for the AD groups. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to resolve this one?

D

dlavigne

This is actually a feature:

If more than 50 users or groups are available, the drop-down menus described in this section will automatically truncate their display to 50 for performance reasons. In this case, start to type in the desired user or group name so that the display narrows its search to matching results.

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
Really? Because on my two other freeNAS boxes I get the whole list of AD users. May I ask what is the setting to disable user/group list truncation?

Gordon Thagard

Dabbler
Interesting. Yes, I really do see the whole list of AD users on the other two FreeNAS boxes. I did try the auto-complete as suggested and it works. OK, thanks.

jabbs

Cadet
It changed somewhere between 9.3 and 9.10. I also assumed I had problems when I saw the same. Never had any performance issues whatsoever displaying hundreds and hundreds of users previously, they appear instantly for me - exactly the same speed as they do with the list truncated to 50. That said, its no big issue once you know how it now works.

Glad you got to the bottom of it too Gordon

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It changed somewhere between 9.3 and 9.10. I also assumed I had problems when I saw the same. Never had any performance issues whatsoever displaying hundreds and hundreds of users previously, they appear instantly for me - exactly the same speed as they do with the list truncated to 50. That said, its no big issue once you know how it now works.

Glad you got to the bottom of it too Gordon
I imagine eventually it hit a problem with scaling (why else truncate). I wonder how many users you can display in a drop-down before bad things happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.