Problem copying files over 4Gb

TadyTheFish

Cadet
Hello
This is my first time posting.
I have been running FreeNAS/TrueNAS for 6 months now and I haven't had a problem
I'm running this for a home server and I have 3 disks (WD Purple) in RAID 5 configuration (Software RAID).
Until now I have not had a problem since I have been storing pictures, but a few days ago I wanted to store a move that is 6Gb large. The copying (from a windows machine) keeps failing at around 4Gb. One time it is 3.8 or 4.1 or 4.6Gb. The NAS disappears from the network and is not accessible until I reboot the machine.
Until now I have been using the onboard realtek NIC ( I know, that is a no-no), so I bought a used HP NC360T dual port gigabit NIC. Te problem is the same and I don't know how to debug the problem further.
I tried setting both ports to different IPs and tha machine disappears on both IPs
System:
1x SSD Kingston (System)
4x WD purple 2TB
MB: Gigabyte B85-HD3
CPU: Intel i5-4590
NIC : HP NC360T (intel chipset)
16Gb RAM

Thank you

TadyTheFish

Cadet
Sorry guys I have found the problem.
One of the RAMs seems to be failing or has failed. I have two 8Gb sticks inside and the system reports 16Gb. I removed one of the RAMs and the system did not boot, so I installed the other one and the system booted. Then I copied the file without a problem.
It seems that when the ZFS cache filled one of the RAMs it started to fill the other one and then it failed
Seems strange how one of them is not working but it is reporting the 8Gb

pschatz100

Guru
Sorry guys I have found the problem.
One of the RAMs seems to be failing or has failed. I have two 8Gb sticks inside and the system reports 16Gb. I removed one of the RAMs and the system did not boot, so I installed the other one and the system booted. Then I copied the file without a problem.
It seems that when the ZFS cache filled one of the RAMs it started to fill the other one and then it failed
Seems strange how one of them is not working but it is reporting the 8Gb
Not really. There is a special chip on the memory stick that is read by the system to identify what the memory specs are (during post.) That is why it is recommended to burn in memory with memtest when building a system. Memtest will actually test the memory chips.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That is why it is recommended to burn in memory with memtest when building a system. Memtest will actually test the memory chips.

Also worth noting that proper burn-in of a system involves more than a week of testing, due to the size of memory these days. People think this is a joke, but especially if you are using non-ECC memory, it's actually the place for problems to shake out.