Problem after replacing Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusan

Guru
thank you for your response, really nice explaination of the encryption used in FreeNAS and it helped me to get clear about some things I could not find out using the wiki!

But this will not help me with my problem, or am i wrong?
Heh, I'm author of the write-up and I'm trying to help ;).

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi Dusan,

awsome, thank you very much! The Query solved my Problem. I followed you advises, the only thing that was strange is, that it did NOT ask me for a passphrase while re-key'ing the pool. Also I got "Create Passphrase" instead of "Change Passphrase". I'm 100% sure that i had a passphrase beforhand. But I think that should no longer be a problem.

Thank you so much Dusan, you saved my day (in the last few minutes of the day ^^).

Edit: Panz: I created a passphrase direct after I created the pool and running re-key.

Dusan

Guru
You are welcome. I'm not sure what exactly happened. If you could remember the exact steps you did it could help me to pinpoint the problem and possibly prepare a fix.

Harsesis

Explorer
Ok I try to put all i still know together:
I checked out the status page of the pool and saw that it went degraded. One of the drives was unavailable.
As far as I remember I clicked on the unavail drive and pressed the replace button and selected a new drive to replace it.
I'm not 100% sure about the next steps but I think I selected "detach" or so on the unavail drive to remove it.
After that I tried to create a new recovery key.

Hope this could help you a little!

Again: Thank you so much for helping me :).

panz

Guru
You created the passphrase only before replacing the disk. Is this correct?

Harsesis

Explorer
panz: nope, I created the passfphrase before that! I created it direct after creating the pool.

panz

Guru
...the only thing that was strange is, that it did NOT ask me for a passphrase while re-key'ing the pool. Also I got "Create Passphrase" instead of "Change Passphrase"...

If the system didn't ask you for a passphrase there was a problem there. I think you had only 1 geli "slot" populated with encryption key.

As always, Dusan is great! :) I'm learning a lot.

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi,

I think I have a similar problem again. A few minutes ago I got a mail that my pool is Degraded again. This time I made a screenshot of the detail view. As you can see in the screenshot there is no option to take the UNAVAIL drive offline. What is the best way to replace this drive?

Edit: Ok so there was no way to take the drive offline using the GUI, I just used the replace button to get the new drive "online". I now ran into the same problem like last time. Maybe this will help you find and fix the problem in freenas.

Attachments

• pool_details.png
    pool_details.png
    29 KB · Views: 278

Dusan

Guru
So, your replacement drive is now online and resilvered, but you can't rekey the encryption, correct?

Harsesis

Explorer
Yap, same problem appeared like last time. I solved it using the query you gave me last time (with the new id).

Status
Not open for further replies.