Probably some noob questions about storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moseby

Cadet
Hello!

So I just installed FreeNAS on a USB-drive on an old computer.
In the computer I currently only have 1 HDD.

This is what my storage looks like:
PwQssdu.png

Should it be like this? I think it looks so complicated?

The HDD is for 1TB and the USB is for 16GB.
On tutorials the storage looks so much simpler with only one "line" if you understand what I mean?

Also:
I can ping the IP of the freenas but I can't ping the hostname. Why is that?

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
It looks like you may have messed things up and installed the boot system on your 1TB HDD instead of the USB drive. While you can use the system this way (and many people do use ZFS on single-drive systems), FreeNAS is usually installed on its own drive. You'll need two USB drives for the install-- one for the install media, and one to write the boot system to. Once you have it installed on the USB drive and have the system booted (make sure you boot from the USB drive and not the 1TB drive), you can go into Storage > Volumes > View Disks to select your 1TB drive and wipe it to get all the old FreeNAS boot stuff off there. Once it's wiped, you can create a new pool on it (with the Volume Manager) for your data storage. After it's created, there will be two "lines" on the Volumes screen-- the first one will be the ZFS pool that represents the storage provider(s), i.e., your 1TB disk, and the second one will be the dataset on which you can actually store stuff. ZFS allows you to nest multiple datasets if needed.

The ping issue is definitely DNS related. Sometimes your local DNS server (usually your home router) needs to be manually programmed with the DNS entry. Look for the DHCP config page and see if you can manually enter an IP and hostname for your FreeNAS system.

Moseby

Cadet
It looks like you may have messed things up and installed the boot system on your 1TB HDD instead of the USB drive. While you can use the system this way (and many people do use ZFS on single-drive systems), FreeNAS is usually installed on its own drive. You'll need two USB drives for the install-- one for the install media, and one to write the boot system to. Once you have it installed on the USB drive and have the system booted (make sure you boot from the USB drive and not the 1TB drive), you can go into Storage > Volumes > View Disks to select your 1TB drive and wipe it to get all the old FreeNAS boot stuff off there. Once it's wiped, you can create a new pool on it (with the Volume Manager) for your data storage. After it's created, there will be two "lines" on the Volumes screen-- the first one will be the ZFS pool that represents the storage provider(s), i.e., your 1TB disk, and the second one will be the dataset on which you can actually store stuff. ZFS allows you to nest multiple datasets if needed.

The ping issue is definitely DNS related. Sometimes your local DNS server (usually your home router) needs to be manually programmed with the DNS entry. Look for the DHCP config page and see if you can manually enter an IP and hostname for your FreeNAS system.

Thanks!

Just before your reply I got that the installation was messed up. Did it all over again so now I have the installation on the USB drive and everything is clean on the HDD.
So that's solved, thanks!

To my next question, I found the DHCP config on my router page but I can only seem to add MAC with IP adress. How does that work? Thanks

Moseby

Cadet
I think I solved it. I did the "ifconfig" in the shell to get the Mac adress and added it via my router. Now I can ping it! :D

I can still not see the Freenas in the "Network" tho to access the Storage... any solution?

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Have you configured any shares on it? You'll need to do that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.