Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpius

Cadet
I am thinking of using freenas to create a storage unit for myself, but have a few questions. The first, does the Freenas OS require it's own HDD? To clarify, I want my system to have 4 * 2TB drives for storage. Do I need a 5th drive to install the os, or does it install and replicate itself on the storage drives themselves?

Second question, what is the average install size of Freenas? So if it does require it's own install position, could it fit on something like a USB memory stick or something of the sort, rather than having to purchase a small hard drive (which would have a lot of wasted space)?

Alejometal

Dabbler
Scorpius, is fully recommended to use a USB Flash card, and this cannot be used as storage. Im using a 4Gb flash card on my system and works great. If your usb flash Card fail, is easy recovery your system, just install freenas in another usb, enter to the web interface, go to settings -> config, and then upload your config file that you should created before, to restore all the configuration. raids, users, rights, network, etc. is super easy and fast to recover your system, if your usb flash card fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.