Privacy Badger By EFF Is Breaking Freenas.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, the scrolling images on the project homepage are being blocked by the Privacy Badger plug-in on Firefox v54 (x64). This is a recent thing, and I'm not sure who to report it to. Instead of the images scrolling around, there is text saying there was "an error loading this resource".

I notified the makers of Privacy Badger already.

http://www.eff.org
https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
My first thought was something else entirely, the minor display badge issue for the "share this page" section, which I fixed for the Ganz themes. As for the scrolling image issue, I guess I have too many other things that hide what effect you see. Does adjusting the sliders in the badger dropdown change/solve it? I did no modification of my theme for that area and certainly not in relation to Privacy Badger, so this problem should affect all themes.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My first thought was something else entirely, the minor display badge issue for the "share this page" section, which I fixed for the Ganz themes. As for the scrolling image issue, I guess I have too many other things that hide what effect you see. Does adjusting the sliders in the badger dropdown change/solve it? I did no modification of my theme for that area and certainly not in relation to Privacy Badger, so this problem should affect all themes.
He means FreeNAS.org, not forums.freenas.org, if I understood correctly.

Yup, it was freenas.org. I reported to EFF that they were breaking your site, and tonight it seems to be working. Not sure what changed.

Initially, when I went to the site, the scrolling background images wouldn't load. If I disabled Privacy Badger for the site it would load perfectly. Re-enabled, broke again... Was definitely related to Privacy Badger blocking what it saw as a tracker.

So tonight it's working, and when I look at the settings PB is enforcing...

Code:
fonts.googleapis.com (Blocked)

badger-slider-handle.png
maps.googleapis.com (Blocked)
badger-slider-handle.png
855-mum-343.mktoresp.com (Allowed)
badger-slider-handle.png
badger-tb-arrow.png
www.youtube.com (Allow Cookies Only)
badger-slider-handle.png
s.ytimg.com (Blocked)

All of the following sites are marked as not tracking, and therefore allowed.

Code:
piwik.freehive.io

badger-slider-handle.png
worker1.freehive.io
badger-slider-handle.png
www.google-analytics.com
badger-slider-handle.png
badger-tb-arrow.png
www.googletagmanager.com
badger-slider-handle.png
munchkin.marketo.net

I was going to tweak each of these individually tonight and let you know which was causing the breakage, but now it's working, so... Can't speak to last night, but perhaps they whitelisted something which made it work again?

Computers! I'll let you know if the issue resurfaces.

So today it didn't work again... I began unblocking things one by one, and it successfully displayed after unblocking these.

Code:
fpdl.vimeocdn.com

badger-slider-handle.png
player.vimeo.com

After unblocking them, they stopped showing up in the Privacy Badger list altogether. Perhaps once the scrolling images are loaded, they remain in the browser cache so they don't bother Privacy Badger anymore...? I need to restart my browser to test... Be right back.

Last edited:
Yup. It doesn't load correctly with the Vimeo domains above blocked. If I unblock them, it loads fine. Not sure what to do about it, but there you go... Privacy Badger automatically blocks Vimeo as a third party tracker without user intervention. Unless users unblock it manually, the resource on freenas.org won't load.

Screenshot from 2017-07-10 20-17-37.png

Stux

MVP
Well, Vimeo probably does track you. If you want to block parts of the web for privacy reasons then you can't expect all parts of the web to work.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
If vimeo's tracking cannot be split from its video display/stream service, then perhaps there is another way to manage such a video on FreeNAS.org? Could it be delivered by a cdn and placed on the page within some sort of HTML/HTML5 container so that it is shown as a video/stream?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If vimeo's tracking cannot be split from its video display/stream service, then perhaps there is another way to manage such a video on FreeNAS.org? Could it be delivered by a cdn and placed on the page within some sort of HTML/HTML5 container so that it is shown as a video/stream?
Probably, if iX wants to put a little bit of effort into it.

That's the reason I was trying to give the developers a heads up about it. There are a lot of third party tools that block tracking, and what they are using now causes the web site to break when we use them. It's by no means a high priority thing I was looking to report, just information to be considered. There are any number of ways to deal with it, even if only a "fallback image" if the video is blocked.

Or do nothing at all... :D

Keep in mind that many home users get into running their own NAS to avoid the loss of privacy of storing their files online somewhere. It could be a turn off to think that iX is tracking them, even if it isn't iX doing it. Now we know it's Vimeo, and the developers can make their own choice down the road to deal with it or not.

Have a great day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.